My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't know which size to order... found this company today. I figured I would go with the 8" gauge and treat the left over fuel in the tank as the reserve! What do you guys think? Anyone have a better source? These are the 2-1/4" caps threaded. they look really good but the indicator plate doesn't match perfect to the original Ford one..At least you can read it!!! Here is the Link

http://bluskies.us/fuelguages.aspx

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've started looking for a replacement for mine as well. Amazon has a bunch listed, too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...e&x=0&y=0&ih=4_5_6_1_1_0_1_0_0_1.64_36&fsc=-1

But do we know which length to order? Reading the description, it gives a gauge length. But are they giving the length as the depth of the tank it will go into or are they measuring from the tip to tip of the entire gauge including its face?

Also, are you sure the 8" gauge will fit? If the 8" measurement they're giving is for just the portion that the float slides on, it would be too long for the tank on the open-side Fords. I'm not sure what the tank on your closed-side tractor measures out at. I think our earlier model gas tanks are something like 5 1/2" deep, not counting the additional height from the filler neck.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
There was a thread here of a guy thats local to me that will make a custom fuel gauge cap if you have a weird shape tank like mine, he also has standard one ready to ship wish I could find it'

The member that posted it said they were great and made by the same company Kelch.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I've started looking for a replacement for mine as well. Amazon has a bunch listed, too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...e&x=0&y=0&ih=4_5_6_1_1_0_1_0_0_1.64_36&fsc=-1

But do we know which length to order? Reading the description, it gives a gauge length. But are they giving the length as the depth of the tank it will go into or are they measuring from the tip to tip of the entire gauge including its face?

Also, are you sure the 8" gauge will fit? If the 8" measurement they're giving is for just the portion that the float slides on, it would be too long for the tank on the open-side Fords. I'm not sure what the tank on your closed-side tractor measures out at. I think our earlier model gas tanks are something like 5 1/2" deep, not counting the additional height from the filler neck.
The guy I was referring to is in Jackson MI. and he knows allot more than most on what size and type you need, when I sent him an e-mail to inquire about the he gave me dimensions, neck size, and what models if would fit and I never told him what model MTD I had but he guessed or has allot of knowledge about them ?

He also sells them on EBay

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A guy I talked to a few days ago said that they are made by a company called Kelch. He ordered one but when I gave the part number to Kelch they said it was wrong... Must have had a change somewhere. He also said when he ordered it that is was labeled as a 9-1/2" gauge.... I do know on the closed side fords that the tanks are pretty deep.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
A guy I talked to a few days ago said that they are made by a company called Kelch. He ordered one but when I gave the part number to Kelch they said it was wrong... Must have had a change somewhere. He also said when he ordered it that is was labeled as a 9-1/2" gauge.... I do know on the closed side fords that the tanks are pretty deep.
Thats why I like the guy I was telling you about he can make them to fit by changing a Kelch cap.

My tank is strange in that the neck is on an angle 45 degs. so getting one already made is tough.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just found a PDF on the Kelch website that explains how to measure a tank to determine which length gauge to purchase.

http://www.kelch.com/assets/docs/sellsheets/KELCH_Utility228ss.pdf

You simply put a ruler or tape measure in the tank and take a measurement to the very top of the filler neck. That measurement minus 1/2" would be the length you would purchase. If they don't offer one at that exact length, go for the next shortest length. Otherwise it may be too long to fit. The "minus 1/2 inch" is to leave room at the bottom of the tank so the gauge isn't bottoming out.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I just found the store on Ebay the gentleman's name is Dean and he's a very good person to deal with I've been so busy that I haven't gotten to his store yet but heres his EBay place it it helps :

http://stores.ebay.com/the-partconnection

He told me my custom Kelch gaugecap would be about $17.95 not bad for a custom made to fit product.

·
Registered
968 Posts
So was it determined what length is needed for a closed side LGT?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I bought a new fuel cap at TSC without a gauge. It was 2 1/8" size. No gauge but better than the fuel splashing out of the split original.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yeah I have a no gauge cap as well... It has a pressure relief at the top...

With the size of the thank on the 165 if you run out its your own fault

1 - 11 of 11 Posts