My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Landscaping Nut
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new 3018 front rims. 8" diameter, 4.5" hub width and 3/4" axle bore diameter. The tire size is
16x6.50-8.
My existing rims have some corrosion and tires are 30 yrs old with leaking at bead and through side wall. Was planning on new replacements but the 4.5" hub width is an outlier, most common stuff id jd with 3" width.

Any ideas on sources other than salem @ 98/each with chinese rubber.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can get a pair of new rims, as well as a pair of new tires to replace the 30 year old ones, all assembled at Amazon for 100.00:

Or if the tread is still good, but they are checked, just take them off the rims, clean up and paint the rims, and put them back on with a tube.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As I stated, being the same tire size with the same axle, they will work .... I also stated ... " if the tread is still good, but they are checked, just take them off the rims, clean up and paint the rims, and put them back on with a tube. "

·
Landscaping Nut
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks oneacer i sent them question on hub. Will see what they say.

I ordered new carlilse turfmasters yesterday. I think i'll have to refurb my existing rims. Hopefully the wheel bead seat area is not too rough for a good seal. Will let tire shop work their magic.

when I saw the new jd tire/wheel assemblies on amazon got excited about new plug and play but the devils in the details.

These old tires look original and started leaking at bead this past spring. They now have slow leak thru sidewall. Thought about foaming(too heavy) or tubes. In the end, based on good previous use experience, new turfmaters seem good route.

Thanks for recomendations.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have brought some pretty rusty rims back to life with a good cleaning and sanding, primer and paint.

If your having a tire shop install the tires, I am sure they will use a good bead sealant.

I have used tubes in tires that were checked (weather/time cracked) and they are still holding years later. Of course you can never go wrong with new ... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts