My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Dustin. I'm from the Quad City area, IL. I now have my first tractor and with every google search to try to find out any info I can about it, this site kept popping up! So, this is why I'm here. I have just been given a 2003 Craftsman GT5000 with a 48" deck. It came with a 3 bin, 9 bushel hard bagger and a 48" dozer blade with wheel weights and chains. It was given to me from my wife's best friend's Dad. It was leaking oil all the time and he didn't want to deal with it and told me to just take it and get it out of his shed. Well, free is as good as anything, so i did. Being not very mechanically inclined, I immediately took it to the small engine repair shop. After a new pressure plate gasket and a engine tune up, I took it home. After I mowed with it the first time, I noticed a lot of blue/whit smoke rolling out of the exhaust. I decided to mow with it a second time thinking it may clear up a little since it had been sitting for over a year when I acquired it. No clear up even more smoke and even some dark colored oil dripping on the ground under the engine. A second trip to the small engine repair shop had not been as easy as the first. The leak test had been enough for him to let me know that the engine needed rebuilt. $400 for just pistons, rings, and gasket. After a couple days of stewing and looking for other used mowers, I had determined that if I were to put $800 ($400 parts, $400 labor) into rebuilding an engine of a tractor that had only really been used for 5 years, wouldn't be so bad. I could put $980 into a mower that would hopefully last another 10 years or more!($150 tune up and pressure plate gasket, $30 new battery, $800 to rebuild engine.) The used tractors that I had been seeing on-line for $1000 or more didn't even come close to the quality or size of the tractor I got for free. Plus the attachments are almost like new! So, this is my story of why I am here. Hope to find many ideas and solutions for my 2003 GT5000!

Dustin

·
Registered
968 Posts
Welcome.

I have the same tractor as you. Mine has blown both sides head gasket, one at 75 hours, the other at 150. I have put 50 hours on it since I replaced the head gasket last fall, so far it seems to holding okay.

I recommend you getting some Gator blades, it made a huge difference in how my gt5000 mows.

How much are you mowing? I mow about 3 acres.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
:MTF_wel: and :wwp:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome.

I have the same tractor as you. Mine has blown both sides head gasket, one at 75 hours, the other at 150. I have put 50 hours on it since I replaced the head gasket last fall, so far it seems to holding okay.

I recommend you getting some Gator blades, it made a huge difference in how my gt5000 mows.

How much are you mowing? I mow about 3 acres.
I am only mowing about 1/2 A. Big tractor for a small area, but like I said before, the price was right!! Do the gator blades work well for bagging, or just mulching?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am only mowing about 1/2 A. Big tractor for a small area, but like I said before, the price was right!! Do the gator blades work well for bagging, or just mulching?
Don't have a bagger so I can't anwser that. For a 1/2 acre that it plenty of tractor.

I would like something larger, I have another 4 acres I could keep mowed but dont have time keep 7 acres mowed with the craftsman.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts