My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the center of North Carolina
Found the forum while searching for a wiring diagram of my JD 155c. It decided to go on vacation this morning by not starting. Jumped 12v to the solenoid and the starter woke up. Somewhere in its operator safety controls some switch or whatever is kaput.

For doing real work, got a '68 or so Sears Suburban 12. That 12 speed transmission just won't stop. Got a '65 Sears Custom 10 for the grand kids to learn how to drive. I still can't get the governor linkage on that last one to work right. Suggestions are most welcome.

I'm a Vietnam Vet with a few little hold overs that I push out of the way in order to have some fun. Which means if I can't figure out what's wrong with that JD, and then being able to fix it cheap, well then some really good intentions on safety are going to get bypassed.

Tally Ho,
Tom

Oh, about my handle. We live on several acres of trees and rough terrain. far away from anyone. Got a mess of dogs, mostly because they stop getting lost by staying here and sometimes, owners never come by to get them.

·
Administrator
21,536 Posts
Greetings, Tom, and welcome to MTF. What were the symptoms of your JD155c when it didn't start? Just click? If that is the case, check out this thread:

Starter Assist

As far as bypassing the safeties, that discussion is against the basic rules here at MTF. Please refer to the following:

5. No Illegal Suggestions Please no pointers, how-to’s, advocating, etc of any illegal activity. (example: By-passing Safety Switches)
In the meantime, I am going to move this to the John Deere forum so you can get started with the repairs to your 155. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Brad,
If I jumper 12v from the battery to the starter solenoid, the starter engages and turns the engine. Checked the pressure switch in the seat. It appears to be a double poll single throw (DPST) with both sides normally closed. Both open when pressure is applied. Wierd but somehow I guess that's how the system was designed. Checked the relay in the PTO circuit, seems to be good. Got interrupted by the war department (wife) so I'll have to resume troubleshooting in the morning. Having a wiring diagram would make life lots easier.

Oh, as for bypassing safety stuff, I'd do that only as a troubleshooting technique to verify a bad part. I never do that for operating it. But thanks non the less for reminding me not to do something stupid.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,123 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
Administrator
21,536 Posts
Are you getting any "clicks" when you try to start it with they key? Or just dead silence?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed it! Dirty connections, really bad dirty connections. Cleaned with carb cleaner and a brass brush, squeezed some contact grease into them and then rerouted most of them into an up-side-down plastic bag. That might do the trick for another couple of years. Kind of surprising that JD didn't use sealed connectors or maybe put all that stuff into a junction box.
Now, if I could find a wiring diagram for this 155c, troubleshooting the next time would be a lot easier.
Thanks for your help!
Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts