My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello to all on the MTF. I found the site as I was doing a little research on a Lawnboy that I have. It's been in my family since 1973 and just stopped working last week. I think I might want to restore it and I see there are many knowledgeable people hear that might give me some help.

Looking forward to getting the help I need. Adam

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:MTF_wel2:Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Registered
388 Posts
:MTF_wel::wwp:

Welcome to MTF and watch out for LBAD. Soon you'll have green machines in every corner like the rest of us LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well here are some pictures. It's a 1973 Lawnboy 19" 5271. My great-grandmother bought it in June of 73 and it's been in my family since then. I've used it for about 5 years and it finally has some issues. I think it has carbon build up in the muffler. It started to loose power and now won't start. I think I might want to restore it but don't have any knowledge of lawn mower engines.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,131 Posts
Wow that shroud is in good shape, the rest looks very solid also. Is the spring on the rear height adjuster lever broken? I see that you are using a bungee cord to hold it in position againt the deck. That should be an easy fix if the slot in the deck is not too wallered out, those springs are still available. Good pics, I wish my pics turned out that good.

I would start with a compression check, you should have about 70 psi min. If your compression is below min. then you can count on a ring job and cylinder hone at minimum. If your compression checks good then I would go ahead and check the exhaust ports and muffler for blockage. Carbon build up in the exhaust ports are the most common cause for the symtoms that you are experiencing. I think the lawnboy website will have instructions on how to clean the ports and muffler.

·
Banned
864 Posts
how about the coil i see that its a solid state LB
I'd say check the ports and the coil

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Well here are some pictures. It's a 1973 Lawnboy 19" 5271. My great-grandmother bought it in June of 73 and it's been in my family since then. I've used it for about 5 years and it finally has some issues. I think it has carbon build up in the muffler. It started to loose power and now won't start. I think I might want to restore it but don't have any knowledge of lawn mower engines.
Another fine machine,
Any help just ask.
Welcome to MTF.
Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts