My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a 1972 Jaobsen GT14 Hydro today, it's a basket case. Owner started to tear it apart to scrap it. (he bought it new) Motor is free and oil looks like new. He said it ran and moved great, just the deck crapped out and the hydraulic cylinder for the lift was shot.
It has a twin tube frame and a cast iron front axle. Rear tires still have the mold excess on them.
I'll get some pics up tomorrow, I got so involved with moving the steering wheel to the rear that I forgot to take any.

The plan is to make it drive towards the rear so the forklift will lift over the rear wheels and it will steer from behind like a real forklift. I can easily adapt my boom from the MTD project forklift. So far I have the steering column moved and mounted, had to fab a couple of mounts and I had to build a sort of center bell crank to make the wheels turn the proper direction and I "think" I have a little more leverage to steer.

It has a 14 hp Kohler horizontal shaft engine. It's missing the air filter so I have to find one of those. The carb needs a good cleaning at least.

I'll keep you updated as I proceed.

I want to take the burden off the MTD as it mows so nice I hate to ruin it.
later,
dave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Little update, I had to move the steering column back about 3.25" once I got the seat mounted. I'm 6'-2" and could reach it but it's way better now. I took the carb off and cleaned it, flushed the fuel tank and tossed in a battery, she fired right up! Only issue is the bowl is leaking, the little round gasket that seals it is all shriveled up (I knew it when I put it back together but thought it might seat). No biggie, I'll fix that today.
One thing that has me scratching my head is the brake peddle, I have to figure out a way for the linkage to move back as you push forward.
I'll get some pics today, I promise......lol
dave

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "plan" is to use part of the hood for the new hood/dash, use the front part of the hood for the rear along with the grill, fab a back bumper and move the battery down there and add some weight. It was pouring out this afternoon so I had to take the pics in the shop, if anyone wants some better pics I can move it out on a good day and snap some more. I have some carb issues, It's a 14hp Kohler, I put a new bowl and bowl gasket on and it still leaks, I think the needle and seat need replacing. I'll get to that, but for a 41 year old motor she purrs like a kitten and doesn't leak a drop while running. The hydro is quick, even has low range!
OK, here are some pics as it is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Little update, I got the battery moved, scrapped the idea of using the original hood as it was just too high and ugly. I fabbed up some aluminum and I think it looks good. I made a cover for where the battery was, installed the key switch, throttle and choke (all original parts).
I added some weight to the rear and built the rear bumper.
I solved my leaky carb issue, the float was full of gas! A new float and gasket and now she runs perfectly. I got the part of the hood cut and fit for the rear along with the grill, I'm going to have the whole shooting match tilt for access.
I'll get some pics tomorrow, it was dark by the time I finished up tonight.
It looks much better with crap covered and bolted in place instead of just hanging.
dave

·
15,000 +posts!
20,719 Posts
Looks good!...It'll be very handy having a forklift,wish I had built one long ago,to move heavy stuff around easier...

You can "reverse" the brake mechanism by using a peice of flat steel ,1/4" x1" or so,make three holes in it,one on one end for the brake linkage from the pedal to go in,and the one on the other end for the linkage to the brake caliper,and the one in the center for the plate to pivot upon,mounted to the chassis...(bellcrank!)..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics as promised.............
The axle is out of a Ford Explorer we are putting into a Jeep TJ for my buddy

·
close enuff works for me
3,153 Posts
You now own a" back saver" , all the stuff that weighs between 80 lbs and 500 lbs can be loaded and moved with no back aches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts