My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 20+ years, we decided it's time to replace the decking. The wood decking was cupped, splitting, etc. Can't really complain since it lasted that long, but we really could never get stain/paint to cover well. Friends had tried the Rustoleum deck restore kit and were not happy.
So, new composite decking got delivered this week from Lowe's. It's their Style Selection brand. Similar to Trex, but almost half the price. We got the concealed fastening system, so no drilling thru deck boards.

Hope to get most if not all done this weekend. 450 SF total. We'll see how that goes with temps to be about 95 F all weekend. At least the pool is close by.:fing32:

Only issue I have with right now is the screws. They are stainless steel with black coating. We already stripped a couple off the heads when screwing the in & had to pull back out & use another. They are square insert rather than phillips or Torx type. I thought SS was a hard steel, but after doing some research, it appears screws are not like Type 304/316 as I am used too in engineering field.

Attachments

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,578 Posts
That will look good when get finished, and you won't have to worry about splinters. Take your time in the heat.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
? you not pulling up the old decking first
will that not hold water an make the old decking rot

john
Old decking is being taken off. That's the most difficult part. The couple boards you see by the pool still have to be removed along with the main deck boards.

It was originally nailed way back when and then screws added in various spots where nails popped up or rusted (especially by the pool) to put the wood boards back in place.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wow, what a difference already. That's going to look great when you are finished.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,624 Posts
My cedar decking is wearing out after about 30 years and will need replacement soon. I like the Lowes composite decking, we used it on a gazebo already.

My biggest concern with the main decks are that the joists are 16" on center. What are yours? I thought that for composite the joists need to be 12" on center.

Oh, that "Deck Renew" stuff is very disappointing.

Good luck with the project and stay cool and hydrated!

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,554 Posts
:thThumbsU..nice deck..

Not sure if it would work for you, but try putting some soap on the tread of the screws before driving them in, or pre drill a smaller hole first..:fing32:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,450 Posts
I have been cursing some of the galvanized deck screws I'm using to install new plywood subfloor in my bathroom,where the original floor rotted away...the phillips heads either strip out easily,or they strip out the screwdriver bit in short order...

I have resorted to putting vaseline on the screw threads (closest "lube" available in the bathroom !)--but then the screws zip in so darn fast,the heads SNAP OFF !..this has been extremely frustrating on the "finish" layer,it always seems to be the last screw you want to put in that breaks,despite using extreme care..

I cant use nails because hammering right next to 40 year old ceramic floor tiles that are already coming loose from the subfloor in spots wouldn't be a good idea..
I suck at driving nails too--I fold most over after they go in halfway more often than not..

I know a guy who tried the Rustoleum "deck reformer" stuff on his aged but solid deck,that was all weather cracked ,said it was a farce,he ended up scraping it all off --he tried using Herculiner truck bedliner,brush on stuff,said it works "awesome",doesn't even know why they bother selling the other stuff...

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never thought about soap or vaseline to "grease" the screws.

Started Saturday on the main deck got about 1/4 of it done. Then got a 8AM start on Sunday. Got all it down except for the last row. It was about 6 PM when we got that far and between the heat and bending over, kneeling, pulling old boards up we were done.

It was me & the Mrs. on Sunday working together. She kept up and actually kept me going too. I was ready to call it a day at 4PM, but she wanted to get it so that there was no big gaps in the floor to avoid mishaps.

Pictures to follow later tonight and other issues encountered beside the screws stripping.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,912 Posts
Hey John, you are about 2-3 weeks ahead of me on a similar project. I'll keep following your progress here. Thanks for sharing.

Just a couple notes:

Instead of soap or vaseline, I've found keeping a wax toilet ring nearby and dragging each screw across the wax makes a very easy screw lube. The wax base is cheap, pick one up next trip to lowes, it is heavy enough to hold itself wherever you lay it so you can one-hand the screw lube.

I've done plenty of reading on-line and most vendors (Trex, TimberTech, Azek) suggest that 16" centers for joist is ok if you are installing deck perpendicular to them. OTOH, if you are making a decorative angle design, so that the span of the deck board is actually longer than the 16" spread of the joists that you should switch to 12" centers. I know of several guys nearby who didn't trust this advice and adjusted their joists to 12" anyway.

I expect to strip my entire deck and railing first, then complete a top down inspection of the foundation and joists. I'll decide then if I want to change mine.

Good luck with your project!

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've done plenty of reading on-line and most vendors (Trex, TimberTech, Azek) suggest that 16" centers for joist is ok if you are installing deck perpendicular to them. OTOH, if you are making a decorative angle design, so that the span of the deck board is actually longer than the 16" spread of the joists that you should switch to 12" centers. I know of several guys nearby who didn't trust this advice and adjusted their joists to 12" anyway.
Mine are 16" OC. I asked when I ordered, because one of my coworkers mentioned about the spacing. He had heard 14" OC min.. Lowe's told me what you mentioned, 16 " OC is OK if perpendicular to joists. Angled should be closer spacing.

After install last night, I checked to see if there was any flex. None noticeable but shade had already been there for couple hours. I need to check in mid day full sun since they do get hot and see if that affects anything.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some pics from Sat. & Sun. I was gonna take more tonight but we had T-storms tonight when I got home. Saturday we did not get far due to getting a late start & then cutting around chimney and then between chimney & end post. Plus being careful to get things lined up right.

Sunday went much better even though it was only me & the Mrs. We had a system going. Tear off 3/4 rows of old boards. As she was finishing tearing up I would start installing new deck. She would the follow behind me & finish installing clips on the row while I started next row. Repeated til finished.

Overall we are very happy with it. Looks much nicer than the old decking. Appears to be a lot less maintenance down the road.

Next will be railings which look really crappy:thSick: now. I found one place that friends had used for their deck. Order direct and install yourself or contractor.

The Birmingham? Railing | Vinyl Railing | Weatherables

You can put post covers right over existing posts if they are in good shape & cut railings to length if they are not conforming to the 4', 6', 8', or 10' increments available. I ordered sample kit to see what they actually are like. I have seen out friends & look like quality product but they have the white square balusters. We are interested in the black round metal ones for ours.

Attachments

·
16,498 Posts
Quite the improvement there.
A lot of work involved, but well worth it in the end.

Thanks also--Ken and Jere for the tips on the wax/soap/vasoline....:fing32:

·
Administrator
17,252 Posts
Looks good John.:fing32: AND since you live here in Orange County I figure it'd be nice to have you and your wife over here on the west side of the county. And do the same on our deck!:sidelaugh:sidelaugh
I might add that I can't believe you folks did that this past weekend. The heat and humidity was a beast. Don't think I did much more that hang out in the pool with my Tom Collins.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good John.:fing32: AND since you live here in Orange County I figure it'd be nice to have you and your wife over here on the west side of the county. And do the same on our deck!:sidelaugh:sidelaugh
I might add that I can't believe you folks did that this past weekend. The heat and humidity was a beast. Don't think I did much more that hang out in the pool with my Tom Collins.
We are only about 15-20 minutes from you over in Greenville.
Believe me with the heat/humidity we jumped in our pool about every hour just to cool off. It was real refreshing at 80 deg. compared to the 95 deg. temp & sun beating down on us. No refreshments other than water though until we got done!:drunkie:

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update on the deck flooring project. Floor is 99% done. Just need to do the nosing on outside edge of deck. Not sure if it's because the new decking is narrower or what, but ended up with about 2" space. Had a few issues with the fascia on pool edge too, but nothing that we can't live with.

Will need to get 1 more piece to rip and order the fascia to wrap the outside. I am also ordering the railing material this week also.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not much to update.
Between going away a couple days, fixing more important issues and being sick last week w/ cold/flu not a lot got done.

Got all the nosing done and picked up the fascia boards.
In the process of removing 3/8" x 4" lag screws on posts & replacing with thru 3/8" x 6" galvanized bolts & nuts. Good thing too, about half the screws broke and/or were quite rusted. The posts should be good for another 20 years. No rot on any of the boards or posts were visible, so that's good.

Never did get railing ordered. Wife can't decide on colors. She's trying to think ahead when roof & siding get done so everything sort matches.

Will try to get pictures if time allows.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the long pause in between posts.

We are almost complete. Ordered the railings & post sleeves a week ago Monday and they arrived Friday last week. Started Saturday morning and completed install except for getting the gate on last night (reason for night pictures).

I must say we are very happy with the outcome. We were a little scared that the color would be too light but the khaki color & black spindlesmade a nice contrast to the brown decking.

I still have to do the stairs & railing & fascia on the north side, but have to do some excavation due to faulty footing drain. Therefore I don't want to fix that and then have to remove for the drain project if it's needed. Hopefully can get that fixed soon & then finish stairs/railing.

Should change the title of the thread: "new floor & railings for the back deck".

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts