My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
KHodges , it's a perfect match for your JD X748 , you did a real good job !!!

Have you thought about fabricating a swing up jack for the tongue ???

Is that a fanny pack behind your seat , could you give details ???

Later,x595

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
slkpk--I like that idea, about the decals. Gotta get 'er done, first.

x595-- I have thought about a stand for the tongue, it's rather heavy, and I'd like to be able to park the trailer a little tongue-high, so water will drain from it. I don't want to jack up the lift for that, as the cylinder will rust after a while.

That IS a fanny pack on back of the seat. There are some kind of slots on the seat to mount a net or carrier of some kind, but the J-D dealer couldn't find anything in the catalog for that seat. I took a fanny pack that was sitting around, cut the straps off, and screwed it to the seat back, using two of the screws that hold the armrests on. I keep work gloves, a tire gauge, and wipe rags in it.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, here's the almost finished product. I still have to prime and paint the stanchions and bolts, and cut the excess length off the protruding bolts.

I tilted the top sideboard out a little, sort of reminiscent of the old horsedrawn wagons. I stopped the top sideboard short of the trailer rear, and sloped the end, just as a styling exercise. The load usually isn't that high that far back in the trailer anyway.

I still want to make a tongue stand for it, that will fold out of the way, playing with ideas now.

Attachments

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
I still want to make a tongue stand for it, that will fold out of the way, playing with ideas now.
I mounted a swing up Jack on my 4x8 Utility Trailer , works great ... For example , if I have a load of Firewood and don't have time to unload it , I can unhook the Trailer and leave it for the next day ...

Later,x595

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's one thing I'm looking at; I need something that doesn't stick up above the tongue (at least for now) because the lever used to pump up the jack that lifts the bed is above the tongue.

I'm also looking at a linear actuator instead of a hydraulic cylinder to operate the dump. Run it off my battery instead of having to run hydraulic lines to the front outlets, or have to install rear outlets. I haven't explored it far enough to get the details, such as current draw of an actuator large enough to lift the bed (need one with 1500 lb lifting ability), or speed of the lift, or price for a suitable actuator. Would such an actuator draw more than 20 amps? This is the max the outlet at the tool box will carry. Otherwise. I'll have to do a dedicated wiring harness direct to the battery, I guess, with an in-line fuse. Put a DPDT switch so I can reverse polarity to the actuator motor for up-and-down operation.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
That's one thing I'm looking at; I need something that doesn't stick up above the tongue (at least for now) because the lever used to pump up the jack that lifts the bed is above the tongue.
I would think that when you want to dump a load , the Trailer would be attached to the Tractor , therefore if you had a swing up jack like mine , in transport mode the jack would be horizontal to the tongue and could not interfere with your jack lever ...

Later,x595

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Very nice trailer and setup for your tractor. slkpk

·
Registered
790 Posts
KHodges,

Thanks for posting. I am watching with great interest since I am contemplating the purchase of a similar wagon. I currently have been using one of the sheet metal style (Ag-Fab) from TSC and it has not held up well at all for my needs (understatement).

A couple of things I might suggest: First, if you do cover the bed with sheet metal I would recommend that you bore vent/drain holes in the plywood underneath to prevent moisture from collecting and rusting/rotting the steel and wood. Second, if you get the sides too high it makes it difficult to shovel (dirt, gravel, etc) while standing on the ground outside the trailer.

Keep us posted, I like what you are doing!

JN

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you get one of these, you'll love it. It's no lightweight, the trailer probably weighs at least 250 lb, I can tell the weight behind the 748 when pulling it.

The plywood floor I put in it is CCA pressure treated, ground contact rated, 3/4" plywood, so it won't rot in the forseeable future, plus I painted the top surface. The sides, even with the third board added, are just at waist level. No problems shovelling stuff over the sides. So far I've been using it to haul brush, and sacks of fertilizer and lime from my truck to wherever I need the stuff. I plan to mulch later, so it'll get a workout hauling that stuff soon.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
The plywood floor I put in it is CCA pressure treated, ground contact rated, 3/4" plywood, so it won't rot in the forseeable future, plus I painted the top surface.
My Utility Trailer also had 3/4" CCA Pressure Treated Plywood for the Deck originally and when I replaced the Deck it was'nt because of Rot , but because of Ply separation , one corner had raised up 3" , so I then went with 5/4" Deck Board ... :fing32:

Later,x595

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
......but because of Ply separation , one corner had raised up 3" , so I then went with 5/4" Deck Board ... :fing32:

Later,x595
The plywood sheet fits inside the frame rails so the edges can't raise up. The trailer was designed to use 5/4 deck planks for the floor, as well as the sides, but I wanted a smooth floor with no gaps between the boards, so I subbed the plywood. As the 5/4 dries over time, (when you start with new ones), they shrink some across their width; even if you start with them crammed together as tightly as possible, gaps open up after a while. The ply won't take quite as much long-term abuse maybe (from dropping stuff in the trailer, or scraping it with a shovel, etc), but I figure the ply will support a sheet of steel to keep it from sagging so much in the middle, and the steel will handle the durability. Slap some paint on it now and again to prevent rust, or just wipe some oil on it.

I still want to add a linear actuator to replace the jack lift mechanism. It works pretty well, but you have to get off the machine to dump the trailer. The actuator, I feel, will be less hassle, as I won't have to worry about connecting and disconnecting hydraulic lines (and the worry about getting dirt in the system).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts