My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this spring may look to get a smaller Deere for a dedicated mower. I'm getting a lot of hours on my X729 and it's leaving depressions in my yard where I have to mow the same way every time. It weighs 1200 lbs with the deck.
I think I would like to keep it for loader work and plowing snow and any heavy pulling I need to do.
So I guess it's as good a time as any to start my research on what to buy

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,240 Posts
I think this spring may look to get a smaller Deere for a dedicated mower. I'm getting a lot of hours on my X729 and it's leaving depressions in my yard where I have to mow the same way every time. It weighs 1200 lbs with the deck.
I think I would like to keep it for loader work and plowing snow and any heavy pulling I need to do.
So I guess it's as good a time as any to start my research on what to buy
do include a zero turn mower.. our neighbor has one & he mows 7 acres twice a week..

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
or get some exercise with a large walkbehind mower (ie, 50+" hydro walkbehind mower)...it also further reduces the weight of the mower by a couple hundred pounds by not having to carry someone around...

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
How many hours do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. The X300 will float over things I cant even walk over when its wet and I dont mow unless its perfectly dry with the X595. How much are you mowing and what kind of terrain? I'm interested to see how your research plays out.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've noticed the same thing. The X300 will float over things I cant even walk over when its wet and I dont mow unless its perfectly dry with the X595. How much are you mowing and what kind of terrain? I'm interested to see how your research plays out.
I mow just over an acre. Its not real hilly but it's not flat eithet. If i waited till it was completely dry I wouldn't have mowed this fall or picked up leaves. We had an extremely wet dpring also so this year it's been hard on the lawn.a set of turf tired might help, not sure.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do include a zero turn mower.. our neighbor has one & he mows 7 acres twice a week..
I had a zero turn for awhile when I first moved in here. I liked iit when i was working because i could get it done fast. The older i got the more i needed something thst could do more than mow. Plis it was hard on my neck. I've had cervical spine surgery. I had to start going a lot slower on it.

or get some exercise with a large walkbehind mower (ie, 50+" hydro walkbehind mower)...it also further reduces the weight of the mower by a couple hundred pounds by not having to carry someone around...
I have to mow a little with a walk behind now because the tractor won't fit. I've cut back on as much of that as I can. I turned 70 this past summer and can't keep that up like I used to.

How many hours do you have?

Close to 950 hours. I know it's got a lot more in it if I continue to do the regular maintenance. Those have been some rough hours with a lot of loader work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
427 Posts
I mow just over an acre. Its not real hilly but it's not flat eithet. If i waited till it was completely dry I wouldn't have mowed this fall or picked up leaves. We had an extremely wet dpring also so this year it's been hard on the lawn.a set of turf tired might help, not sure.
I have the aggressive carlisle turfs on my JD F1145 (also AWD but a little heavier than a SGT) and they suck in anything wet. They pack up and if you dont back off quickly you are up to your axles/deck. The X300 will float over much wetter than that leaving far less trace than you would in boots behind a push mower. If only it had a 5' deck, could push snow and handle the vertical on my property it would be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the aggressive carlisle turfs on my JD F1145 (also AWD but a little heavier than a SGT) and they suck in anything wet. They pack up and if you dont back off quickly you are up to your axles/deck. The X300 will float over much wetter than that leaving far less trace than you would in boots behind a push mower. If only it had a 5' deck, could push snow and handle the vertical on my property it would be perfect.
That's good to know about the turfs. I would consider a used GT that would meet my needs. I want hydro and not manual trans to mow with. If i csme across a good desl on a ussd zero turn i souldnt be opposed to it. Just need to not go as fast and beat myself up with it. They can be hard on turf slso if you're not careful.
I have clay here and when it stays wet in the spring and fall I dread having to get out on the yard. I vacuumed leaves Saturday and I can still see everywhere I've been in the yard. I always roll inn the spring before it dries out too much. None of this yard work is as much fun as it used to be.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Added 2 cents.
I think my x500 comes in around 780 pounds with the deck on. Adding me at close to 200 gets us close to 1,000 pounds on HDAP tires.

Spring, and again this past 2 weeks, I'm pulling mud up and leaving some compaction tracks. It's just too darned wet. I'd guess that anything light, with wide tires might help get across the soft spots with minimal compaction/tracking. But "light" might mean less robust trans, so be careful. Not a big fan of turf tires as they seem to just "slick up" in mud, requiring a tow strap or winch.

·
16,346 Posts
Larry--I understand making adaptions as you get older--yard work is great out doors activity--but ONLY so much in a day's time. By tyhe next day--all the leaves are back--if it doesn't rain or snow......Got up leaves here oday--4 hours labor of love (I guess)

Around here--the winter weather is already hanging around...Down in high 30's most mornings...got warm on us this afternoon--I was sweating with a long sleeve shirt on...

It be=hoves me , at this point how much longer I really want to take care of a big yard........
Take care, my friend........:tango_face_grin:

glenn

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
X380 or X390 are top of the line lawn tractors- weigh about half your x729-- the 390 has power steering both have K58 tranny and 22hp Kawi engines. Either tractor will handle 1 acre no problem

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
X380 or X390 are top of the line lawn tractors- weigh about half your x729-- the 390 has power steering both have K58 tranny and 22hp Kawi engines. Either tractor will handle 1 acre no problem
Thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Larry--I understand making adaptions as you get older--yard work is great out doors activity--but ONLY so much in a day's time. By tyhe next day--all the leaves are back--if it doesn't rain or snow......Got up leaves here oday--4 hours labor of love (I guess)

Around here--the winter weather is already hanging around...Down in high 30's most mornings...got warm on us this afternoon--I was sweating with a long sleeve shirt on...

It be=hoves me , at this point how much longer I really want to take care of a big yard........
Take care, my friend........

glenn
Some days I dont mind, other days I look out and everything looks overwhelming.
I have always enjoyed the outdoor activities but this year it's just not the same.
First time in 44 years not heating with wood. Started 3 years ago buying most of it but but last year even loading it, bringing it home and stacking it and bringing it in to burn got to me. I miss the fires and heat from it but don't miss the rest

·
16,346 Posts
We stopped supplimenting our heat w/ a wood stove about three years ago--instead going to gas logs as a back up and for local warmth in the den in the evenings/ close the doors somewhat and good to go......

Sold the insert and gave the rest of the wood and the stands for them to a friend to use. Just last weekend sold the rest of the wood burning/cutting tools up @ the flea market.
Don't want to completely wear my body out humping wood and ashes all over the place when there are other altenatives.....

You know--us older guys have to save ourselves for those Saturday night activities---should the situation happen. Ya know?:tango_face_devil:

glenn

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Couple of places I’ve found decent equipment at fair prices:

John Deere dealer
Troxel Equipment Bluffton, Huntington, many others, Indiana
https://www.ttgequipment.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventory&vt=lawn mower&vc=riding&d=on&t=preowned#page=xPreOwnedInventory&vt=lawn mower&vc=riding

Kubota dealer
More Farm Stores
Warsaw, Columbia City, Fort Wayne, Indiana
https://www.morefarmstores.com/equipment/used-equipment?&take=20&page=1

My Ztrac 757 came through them to the guy I bought it from.

Weight can be an issue on wet ground, but it can also be what saves you. Especially the ride will be smoother.

The John Deere site says a 48” deck is enough for under 2 acres, but I like a little larger deck. I went to my Ztrac 757 60” for about 2 acre soccer field, flat and wide open. I would start with how soft you want the ride, what you want to do with it and what attachments, what size deck will work well for you. Then other features you like. An X729 will be a tough thing to compare against.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We stopped supplimenting our heat w/ a wood stove about three years ago--instead going to gas logs as a back up and for local warmth in the den in the evenings/ close the doors somewhat and good to go......

Sold the insert and gave the rest of the wood and the stands for them to a friend to use. Just last weekend sold the rest of the wood burning/cutting tools up @ the flea market.
Don't want to completely wear my body out humping wood and ashes all over the place when there are other altenatives.....

You know--us older guys have to save ourselves for those Saturday night activities---should the situation happen. Ya know?:tango_face_devil:

glenn
I have a free standing wood stove so gas logs are kind of out. My log splitter I built in 1987 and would like to leave it to one of my kids or grandkids but no one is showing any interest in doing wood. I have a little bit of maple I got from my daughter this past summer. They topped a dead tree so nothing had to be split. I'll have a fire every now and then on a bitterly cold night. Saving yourself for other activities is good.

Couple of places I’ve found decent equipment at fair prices:

John Deere dealer
Troxel Equipment Bluffton, Huntington, many others, Indiana
https://www.ttgequipment.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventory&vt=lawn mower&vc=riding&d=on&t=preowned#page=xPreOwnedInventory&vt=lawn mower&vc=riding

Kubota dealer
More Farm Stores
Warsaw, Columbia City, Fort Wayne, Indiana
https://www.morefarmstores.com/equipment/used-equipment?&take=20&page=1

My Ztrac 757 came through them to the guy I bought it from.

Weight can be an issue on wet ground, but it can also be what saves you. Especially the ride will be smoother.

The John Deere site says a 48” deck is enough for under 2 acres, but I like a little larger deck. I went to my Ztrac 757 60” for about 2 acre soccer field, flat and wide open. I would start with how soft you want the ride, what you want to do with it and what attachments, what size deck will work well for you. Then other features you like. An X729 will be a tough thing to compare against.
I had a 48 inch deck on my Scag zero turn. It did a better job than my 62 inch deck on the Deere just because of my un level yard. I had a GT225 when I first moved here with a small deck but the cut was terrible with only two blades. I have all winter to make up my mind unless I come across a screaming deal on something.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Maybe consider the S240.

Before anyone balks, here’s my theory:
1) The solitary purpose is to mow an acre without much incline; having the X729 mitigates the risk of using the mower to do things it’s not designed to do
2) It’s a comfortable machine to use from my understanding
3) It’s the smallest/lightest frame Deere offers, so hard damage won’t be an issue
4) It’s quite affordable compared to making the jump to a X300, and I doubt you’ll need a machine to last decades at this point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts