My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up today at an estate sale and I thought you might all be as in awe as I am. Best as i can tell they stopped making these in 1999 (if anyone knows how old this one is I'd love to know, serial number in pics) and this one looks like it was used once and put in a shed since. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a new snowblower. It even came with the original electric start kit and the factory service manual. In these pics I haven't even blown the dust off the machine yet. (and yes I do have the other tire chain)

I know it's not super old but it still amazes me, i'm not sure what i'm going to do with it yet. It would almost be a shame to put it to work at this point in its life.

-Kirk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Very nice! I wish JD would put the serrated edges on the auger on their tractor-mounted units!

Completely unrelated machine but I have a 1994 MTD walk-behind that is still going strong! Doesn't look nearly that nice, though, LOL.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is a great find!

I was looking at a similar walk-behind JD snow blower...ended up finding this snowblower for my x750 through my local dealer. A long time customer was moving to assisted living. Wasn't cheap, but much less expensive than new (and yes, more $$ than a walk behind...)

Of course only got to use it twice last winter. Sadness. Can't wait until next winter!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a great find!

I was looking at a similar walk-behind JD snow blower...ended up finding this snowblower for my x750 through my local dealer. A long time customer was moving to assisted living. Wasn't cheap, but much less expensive than new (and yes, more $$ than a walk behind...)

Of course only got to use it twice last winter. Sadness. Can't wait until next winter!

View attachment 2459547
She's a real beaut. I didn't even need this walk behind, I have a 44" on my L111 and it does great but the walk behind sold so cheap it made me take it home. Same story as all my JD's, they made me buy them 😂

Kirk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Picked this up today at an estate sale and I thought you might all be as in awe as I am. Best as i can tell they stopped making these in 1999 (if anyone knows how old this one is I'd love to know, serial number in pics) and this one looks like it was used once and put in a shed since. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a new snowblower. It even came with the original electric start kit and the factory service manual. In these pics I haven't even blown the dust off the machine yet. (and yes I do have the other tire chain) View attachment 2459535 View attachment 2459536 View attachment 2459531 View attachment 2459532 View attachment 2459533 View attachment 2459534 View attachment 2459537 View attachment 2459538 View attachment 2459539 View attachment 2459540

I know it's not super old but it still amazes me, i'm not sure what i'm going to do with it yet. It would almost be a shame to put it to work at this point in its life.

-Kirk
These are still being made. They're just only available in orange now.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Picked this up today at an estate sale and I thought you might all be as in awe as I am. Best as i can tell they stopped making these in 1999 (if anyone knows how old this one is I'd love to know, serial number in pics) and this one looks like it was used once and put in a shed since. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a new snowblower. It even came with the original electric start kit and the factory service manual. In these pics I haven't even blown the dust off the machine yet. (and yes I do have the other tire chain)

-Kirk

What is this on the left wheel? I don't see it on the right wheel.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Very nice! I wish JD would put the serrated edges on the auger on their tractor-mounted units!

Completely unrelated machine but I have a 1994 MTD walk-behind that is still going strong! Doesn't look nearly that nice, though, LOL.
You must not clean gravel driveways. :) Those serrations have a nasty habit of trapping stones between the auger and auger housing. I've used blowers with both auger styles and see no advantage to the serrations.

I too have an older MTD. It is a 1993 12HP 33-inch and it still works just fine. It looks pretty good too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
343 Posts
Actually I think it's to lock the axle (2 wheel drive vs. 1 wheel drive) but I could be wrong.

You must not clean gravel driveways. :) Those serrations have a nasty habit of trapping stones between the auger and auger housing. I've used blowers with both auger styles and see no advantage to the serrations.

I too have an older MTD. It is a 1993 12HP 33-inch and it still works just fine. It looks pretty good too.
Hahaha - nope, asphalt here. Sometimes when the snow is heavy/wet, I just push it. I think a serrated auger would break it up better - maybe not.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Actually I think it's to lock the axle (2 wheel drive vs. 1 wheel drive) but I could be wrong.
Possibly. But, on mine there is just a pin for locking the axle. You're probably right though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It is a differential lock. I have the same snow blower, but I have no idea what year it is.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very nice. My grandpa had one, my aunt uses it now. Still going strong and has moved a lot of snow. It throws snow like it is at least 2-3 HP larger than it says it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
Picked this up today at an estate sale and I thought you might all be as in awe as I am. Best as i can tell they stopped making these in 1999 (if anyone knows how old this one is I'd love to know, serial number in pics) and this one looks like it was used once and put in a shed since. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a new snowblower. It even came with the original electric start kit and the factory service manual. In these pics I haven't even blown the dust off the machine yet. (and yes I do have the other tire chain) View attachment 2459535 View attachment 2459536 View attachment 2459531 View attachment 2459532 View attachment 2459533 View attachment 2459534 View attachment 2459537 View attachment 2459538 View attachment 2459539 View attachment 2459540

-Kirk
Deere snow Blowers see Ariens since about the early 1980's till the end of Production in 2001
after Model Year 2001 Deere stopped Production of Deere Labeled Ariens snow Blowers
About 2007 Deere contracted with MTD to Make Frontier walk Behind snow Blowers for a few Years(y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts