My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zrock, welcome to the forum! For years I had some old decks on my older tractors and when I picked up the 318 it had a pretty new 48" replacement deck on it. Wow, a new deck is amazingly different for the 20 - 30 year old ones! Enjoy your machine and consider refurbing the deck. You will be glad you did!
What is the difference in a new deck? Can I just replace the three blade spindles and bearings.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can just replace the bearings. But, you need a shop press or a great big vice.

If you have a bearing distibutor close by you can just take one of the bearings to them and chances are they will have it on the shelf, you can buy them on eBay, or from a John Deer dealer.

It is not hard to do, but you really need a press.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You can just replace the bearings. But, you need a shop press or a great big vice.

If you have a bearing distibutor close by you can just take one of the bearings to them and chances are they will have it on the shelf, you can buy them on eBay, or from a John Deer dealer.

It is not hard to do, but you really need a press.
Hello pipsqueek,
I just did the spindles for my 50" deck for my 316,and as Randy stated,you really should use a press to do them properly.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
35,833 Posts
Local automotive repair shops can press the bearing too! No need to travel to a JD dealer for that. I just thought you might like to know that if you needed/wanted a new deck that they are available!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PA318, not sure what you mean when you say:

"Wow, a new deck is amazingly different for the 20 - 30 year old ones!"

Is it different or the same as a refurbished deck.

·
Super Moderator
35,833 Posts
The replacement decks are brand new decks. I've rebuilt a couple of older decks for my 110, 212, and 216 (39 inch, 46 inch, and 38 inch respectively) and never were they as quiet during operation as this new 48 inch deck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do you guys find that they cut better also.
I can't imagine why they would cut better or be quieter unless they are a different design. All the shaft touches are the bearings, and new bearings are new bearings.

But, there is no doubt some decks have better designs, higher blade speed, better vacuum, air flow, etc.

I had to reinforce mine where the spindle bolts go, re-bush the idler pulley arm, some other stuff. But it is quiet as a mouse.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
I just replaced all my deck bearings in my 46" deck on my 185. Didnt have a press , but a big vise. No problems at all. Very easy to do without a press. Jusy use some right size sockets and a brass hammer. Easy!

·
Super Moderator
35,833 Posts
Randy, must have bought some square bearings for my other decks then because they weren't that quiet!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Randy, must have bought some square bearings for my other decks then because they weren't that quiet!:biglaugh:
I'm not a good one to ask anyway. I have worn ear plugs when operating any kind of equipment for years. I had the universal joint going out on a PTO mower drive shaft on a little CaseIH 235 I used to mow with.

My BIL heard it from 300 yards away while I was mowing, came over and suggested I fix it before it came apart. I took the plugs out and said, Yeah might be a good idea.:duh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts