My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,804 Posts
Don't you hate it when people do this ?
No information .. no photos !
why don't they wait until they have everything together and then post it ?

There was another post yesterday about someones latest project.
At least they described what they were doing but then it says " I'll post pics tomorrow ".

What's wrong with posting photos now ???
If the photos won't be available until tomorrow, than wait until tomorrow to post everything.:wwp:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm ready to give the whole story... and yes, I'm in the marketing business...

A gentleman saw my two customs at a tractor show here in Michigan, and started asking about them. I didn't think much of it. About a week later he called and we talked some more, and a question was raised about what it would cost to build a mini 430 John Deere... I still didn't think much about it. A few more weeks pass, and he call again, saying that he wanted to use a Deere 300 has the base tractor, but he wanted to put a Cub Cadet rear end in it because they are much stronger than the gear drives Deere used. I said he may consider just starting with an old Cub, so we don't have to engineer the drive train.

Yesterday, I just get home from lettering and pinstriping a semi truck, and I get another phone call. This gentleman is on his way to my place with this...

And this is what we're going to recreate...

No front end loader though. I haven't started designing anything yet, but will do so soon.

I'm very excited to start this project, I'm just crossing my fingers that I won't break my hand. :)

The real tractor was the owners Dad's, and he wants to have the little one just for fun.

Kurt

Attachments

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
That will be cool.

Kurt, I got a CC 124 the other day to build into my 656 that we have spoke about. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Duane

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Duane,

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I'd love to help you with my past mistakes, so you don't have to make them yourself. :)

You'll love your 656!

On another note, does any one here have a set of power king fenders? I'd like to know the dimensions of them, and possibly buy a set. I think they may work for the 430's fenders.

Kurt

·
10,839 Posts
I can't decide if the two in the back of the photo are giving the new arrival the 'evil eye' or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I hope to start some fiberglass work on the hood some time next week. I'm also trying to hunt down an engine that will work. It needs to have a bendix starter, so the engine can tuck inside the hood.

Here is the very first draft for the design. The engine will be 1/4 under the front of the grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm working on the front of the hood now, and need some advice on fiberglass work...

I'm making a pattern that I want to make a mold of, to make the final fiberglass part from.

I forgot to scuff the aluminum before I applied the fiberglass, so it doesn't have the best bond, which is why I'm going to use this to make a mold...

I started with a flat piece of .040 aluminum that I cut to shape

I then bent it around my makeshift brake...

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I then cut some plywood to support it during the fiberglass phase, and to hold it.

I applied duct tape to the "top" of the curves to give the fiberglass support, and installed scrap aluminum to finish the curve.

I then applied the fiberglass.

Next I applied the raised section for the "Deere" logo, and applied the fiberglass to it.

Next I applied bondo to the front corners to shape later.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next I applied bondo to the front corners to shape later.

Any suggestions on making the mold now? I'm going to smooth everything out, and apply shinny paint to it, and wax it. Then, what kind of fiberglass should I use? I used cloth on the inside, but I think I may use hair for the mold... any and all suggestions are welcome.

Kurt

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I worked on the hood some more today, I used a DA to finish shaping it. I'm ready to make the mold. My Aunt and Uncle have a commercial fishing boat, and have had a lot of experience with fiberglass, so I'm going to pick their brians...

I also cleaned up the Cub. A friend is working on the 14 horse Kohler this weekend. I'm going to have to natch the frame to fit the engine but that shouldn't be too hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The part did come out, it ended up destroyed, but that's OK. The mold really turned out nice.

I'm going to drill and tap a hole in the middle of the "deere" emblem that I'll put an air fitting in. I'll place a piece of tape over the hole when I make the part, and when it's all set, I'll hook it up to an air hose and blast the 2 parts apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the nose piece done today...

The first pic is the mold with a hole drilled in the front to help with the release.

I then place some tape over the hole, and mounted a air fitting.

The last pic is with the fiberglass in place

Attachments

1 - 20 of 107 Posts