My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JD 314 broke again the other day...after a lot of research and help from all of you I have decided on my new tractor...It came down to a Cub Cadet or a Husqvarna...I wanted a entry level garden tractor in hopes that the upgraded hydro would stand up to the steep ditch in the front of my acre lot...I really like the Husqvarna GTH2752LS but I was not all that impressed with my local dealer and no one stocks them this time of year around here...I would have had to order and pay for one without seeing it...I have been impressed with our local Cub Cadet dealer...I had looked at the LTX1050 in the past but had been leaning toward Husqvarna because I wanted a little beefier tractor but absolutely needed to stay under $3000...yesterday I drove a CC GTX1054 (serviceable hydro) and it will be arriving in one hour...I will be moving the 314 to the back of the garage and maybe someday will restore it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Nice looking machine! I'm curious about the serviceability of the transaxle though. I see it's got 1" axle stubs and the largest rear wheels of all the 1000 series.

Joel

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
My two neighbors have the newer JD 3XX. The cut of their yards is horrible. If that JD was a newer one your cut is gonna be much better. If it was an older JD 3XX, those were awesome tractors!

Need to change your username ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got to use my tractor for the first time yesterday...the only problem is now I want more lawn to mow...with the 54 inch deck and far better steering than my old JD, I think my mowing time will be cut in half...great cut...like the sound of the Kohler (loud-my dealer said it is the Harley of tractor engines).

JMoe - I thought it was a serviceable transaxle, but the owners manual does say it is a sealed unit...It is a HydroGear G7...the reason I thought it was serviceable is because it has what looks to be a spin off filter on the transaxle...any ideas why it would have what looks to be a replaceable filter but would be a sealed unit? Anyway, I believe I got the best I could for the money I had to spend...this tractor is probably more than I need on my one acre but I wanted to under use a tractor rather than over use it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
JMoe - I thought it was a serviceable transaxle, but the owners manual does say it is a sealed unit...It is a HydroGear G7...the reason I thought it was serviceable is because it has what looks to be a spin off filter on the transaxle...any ideas why it would have what looks to be a replaceable filter but would be a sealed unit? Anyway, I believe I got the best I could for the money I had to spend...this tractor is probably more than I need on my one acre but I wanted to under use a tractor rather than over use it.
Even though it says its a sealed unit, you can pull it out and change the fluid. Its just a matter of taking a cap off and turning the unit upsidedown and drain & re-fill. I'm going to do my GT1554 this year, and put Amsoil 20w-50 in it.

·
Super Moderator
16,501 Posts
After 2008 they changed the transmission. Which Burns me a little:mad: Because I have been putting out in the last year that these had a sevicable Transmission in them. Starting with the 2009 model year the 1000 series tractors went to a non servicable trans it which you have to remove the trans to change the fluid. There is a changable filter on the Hydrostatic transmission in the GTX1054 Hear is the part number HG-52114 it figure number 23 in the diagram below.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
JMoe - I thought it was a serviceable transaxle, but the owners manual does say it is a sealed unit...It is a HydroGear G7...the reason I thought it was serviceable is because it has what looks to be a spin off filter on the transaxle...any ideas why it would have what looks to be a replaceable filter but would be a sealed unit?
Awesome! I didn't realize HG still offered one with a spin-on filter in this segment. It might not be too bad to service, although you might need to remove the rear fender assy to access the fill plug. I found some cool PDFs from this fine fella on MTF: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=114092 BTW, the ZT-2800's on my Z-Force uses the same filters. Expensive little buggers.

Joel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sergeant...I got your message...would I need to remove the transaxle or can I drain it from the spin off filter...what interval should I be looking at changing the fluid and filter?...would it void my warranty? I will plan on contacting my dealer at some point but if anyone has any advice I would take it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,501 Posts
Well going by Deere change it at 50hrs then 250hrs or every two years after that. Well thanks to Jmoe finding that PDF it seemes you drain it By removing filter. Yes it looks like you will have to remove the fender deck to fill it back up Though. Hydro gear says to change it at 75 or 100Hrs then every 400hrs after that. I have gone by the deere standard for all my tractos that have sevicable Hydro reguardless of the Brand.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help...I assume I would void my warranty by servicing my "sealed" transaxle?...I will plan on servicing it anyway...I only have one hour on the tractor so I have some time...now I just need my grass to GROW!!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
The transaxle aren't very hard to pull out. The first time takes a while,figuring out whats the best way. But after that it's about an hour max to get one out. I've done 3 in the past year and can get one out in about 40 min. Its bet to leave the control rods on the trans, and un-hook the from the pedals. And slide the axle rearward, as you drop it. I put hairpin clips back in, for the control rods, making it easier the next time.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Thanks for all your help...I assume I would void my warranty by servicing my "sealed" transaxle?...I will plan on servicing it anyway...I only have one hour on the tractor so I have some time...now I just need my grass to GROW!!!!

No, not at all. Just be sure to have a white Hydrogear brand filter on there should you ever have to take it in. I've seen the filters for sale online for ~$12/ea. You shouldn't need to pull the hydro from the tractor per the .pdf above. The filter base is at the lowest point on the case, so removing the filter will drain the whole unit. The fill plug looks to be far enough to the rear of the input pulley and fan, such that it's not blocked by those. Might still need to pull the fender assy though. FWIW, I can see some wear material in the oil in the expansion bottle for the Hydrogear ZT-2800's on my new Z-Force. I've only got ~17hrs on it. I'll be swapping out the oil next season at some point just to get that out of there. Your filter is probably under the yellow zink plated covers like on my ZT-2800's:

Joel

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
My JD 314 broke again the other day...after a lot of research and help from all of you I have decided on my new tractor...It came down to a Cub Cadet or a Husqvarna...I wanted a entry level garden tractor in hopes that the upgraded hydro would stand up to the steep ditch in the front of my acre lot...I really like the Husqvarna GTH2752LS but I was not all that impressed with my local dealer and no one stocks them this time of year around here...I would have had to order and pay for one without seeing it...I have been impressed with our local Cub Cadet dealer...I had looked at the LTX1050 in the past but had been leaning toward Husqvarna because I wanted a little beefier tractor but absolutely needed to stay under $3000...yesterday I drove a CC GTX1054 (serviceable hydro) and it will be arriving in one hour...I will be moving the 314 to the back of the garage and maybe someday will restore it.

Thanks again!
I am considering the GTX 1054.Any issues with yours so far.What's your likes/dislikes about it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts