My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

Bought a used Cub Cadet 2185 HDS with a 20hp Kohler Twin yesterday for very low bucks. Tractor has about 500 hours on it, but was dropped from a ramp at one point and has sustained some damage, but the damage is mostly cosmetic. One of the valve covers was broken, and will need to be replaced. This unit has had some mods done to it but nothing major. Even with the valve cover bad it starts and runs great. These are tough tractors !!

After I replace the cover, I'll replace the belts, change the fluids, etc. I have a couple of questions:
  • Where is the serial number on these tractors? I found the plate on the engine, but need the tractor S/N too
  • What is the recommended fluid for the hydro? I'll need to replace the filter as well.
  • From a label on some wiring, it looks like the tractor was a 2000 or 2001. Are there clues to tell me which, besides the S/N? The Kohler has a 20 with the Oil Sentry feature, it that helps at all.

Any other weak points or things to check on this tractor? Others have posted that there is an area above the muffler where grass can collect and burn? I would appreciate any guidance to locate this area, and tips to keep the grass out if possible.

I'm sure that I'll have lots more questions later. Any recommendations on a user manual and service manual that can be downloaded or purchased? I'll get pics later once I start to work on it more.

Thanks !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Everyone:

Bought a used Cub Cadet 2185 HDS with a 20hp Kohler Twin yesterday for very low bucks. Tractor has about 500 hours on it, but was dropped from a ramp at one point and has sustained some damage, but the damage is mostly cosmetic. One of the valve covers was broken, and will need to be replaced. This unit has had some mods done to it but nothing major. Even with the valve cover bad it starts and runs great. These are tough tractors !!

After I replace the cover, I'll replace the belts, change the fluids, etc. I have a couple of questions:
  • Where is the serial number on these tractors? I found the plate on the engine, but need the tractor S/N too
  • What is the recommended fluid for the hydro? I'll need to replace the filter as well.
  • From a label on some wiring, it looks like the tractor was a 2000 or 2001. Are there clues to tell me which, besides the S/N? The Kohler has a 20 with the Oil Sentry feature, it that helps at all.

Any other weak points or things to check on this tractor? Others have posted that there is an area above the muffler where grass can collect and burn? I would appreciate any guidance to locate this area, and tips to keep the grass out if possible.

I'm sure that I'll have lots more questions later. Any recommendations on a user manual and service manual that can be downloaded or purchased? I'll get pics later once I start to work on it more.

Thanks !
Congrats!

Not sure about the year but usually there's a date tag under the seat. It's probably just for the seat but it was accurate with my 2206.

The manuals are available for download at the link below, just enter 2185 and a few numbers for the S/N:
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do?BrandCode=10051&langId=-1

Tractor Serial Number: If its not under the seat look on the frame just behind the front tires for the SN sticker, you'll probably find is a sticky area where the tag use to be.

Cub Cadet "Drive System Fluid Plus"
Cub Cadet dealer for the hydro filter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think those stickers are designed to fall off in 5-years or 5-washings, whichever comes first.
I lucked out when I bought my 2206 used, someone pealed one from the frame and stuck it on the front of the owners manual, the other was still on the frame but just about to fall off.

What’s up with the 20-hp 2185’s? I’ve heard of a few of them now on this forum with GT or HDS included on the name tag and I’m wondering if they were a mid year thing before the 2206 & 2500’s were introduced in 2000, or if they were 2000 and later model with a recycled model number?
Always seemed a little strange that they used a 20 hp engine in a model number that typically had an 18 under the hood and in the name before.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah My 2165 has the B&S 16 hp
and my 2185 has the Kohler Command 18 HP...
after driving the 2185, my 2165 feels a little under powered... But still more than adequate as long as I don't let the grass grow more than a foot between mowing ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys:

I found out that I actually have a Kohler Command 25 hp motor in my tractor, after chasing some replacement parts. This is the CH25 (now CH730). I haven't driven it much, but I'll bet it will really move. I'm guessing that it is a replacement engine.

By the way, where's the best place to order parts (Cub Cadet parts) for this tractor? Any recommendations for online sources ? Several that I have found aren't much cheaper than the local dealer !!

Thanks,

Steve

·
10K and Climbin!
12,301 Posts
Hi Guys:

I found out that I actually have a Kohler Command 25 hp motor in my tractor, after chasing some replacement parts. This is the CH25 (now CH730). I haven't driven it much, but I'll bet it will really move. I'm guessing that it is a replacement engine.

By the way, where's the best place to order parts (Cub Cadet parts) for this tractor? Any recommendations for online sources ? Several that I have found aren't much cheaper than the local dealer !!

Thanks,

Steve
These guys are a bit cheaper: Give them a look:

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Cub/CubCadet_Main.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts