My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was closer to 10 hrs than the recommended 5; but that was the dirtiest oil I have ever changed. I was surprised how thin and caramel colored it was. I know that this tractor was sitting around on display for MANY
months before I picked it up. Just curious if the dirty oil might be due to the long sit, poor quality of oil OR just normal. Thoughts?
The air filter was real dirty too. The oil change was a snap on this CTX 9500. BTW, I LOVE seeing it on sale for 5499 at SEARS when I got it for less than half that.

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Oil can "look" dirty" and be fine. The detergents in it change color as they work.
Viscosity is quite variable to the senses. If it was 5W-30 and hot, it could "appear" quite thin. "Thicker" doesn't mean it has a better film strength.

The serial# should give a date code. One would assume the oil was at least that old.

I imagine an employee could have "borrowed" the unit, disconnected the hour meter and.......
I guess you could have paid full price for one and not be worrying about its previous life.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Could be the valve train and piston rings weren't settled in so you were getting larger than normal amounts of carbon ect.... from blow-by.

If no metal particulates or water, I'd fill her up go.

I wonder how long they run them at the factory? New guns are always dirty from test fire. If it aint, someone cleaned it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Filled and she's good. Running well. No visible metal were to be found.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts