My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 3 new Oregon chains and 3 rim sprockets for the Stihl 026. Several of my old chains are down to there last sharpening so they will be retired. The old rim sprocket shows a lot of wear and should have been replaced last year.

Liquid Plant Material property Carton Font Font Material property Advertising Musical instrument Magenta Font Oval Symbol Circle Auto part Watch Automotive tire Rim Household hardware Gas Rim Household hardware Circle Metal Fashion accessory

Attachments

Reactions: Brianf

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Haven't used the new EXL Oregon chain, this is supposed to be an improved LGX?

A rim sprocket should last 3 chains. Keep the 3 chains in a set and run with that new rim sprocket. They wear together and will maximize life. Think of it as as gears meshing in a transmission.

Running a new chain on a badly worn sprocket will wear it prematurely and vice versa.

Reactions: cjet69

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't used the new EXL Oregon chain, this is supposed to be an improved LGX?

A rim sprocket should last 3 chains. Keep the 3 chains in a set and run with that new rim sprocket. They wear together and will maximize life. Think of it as as gears meshing in a transmission.

Running a new chain on a badly worn sprocket will wear it prematurely and vice versa.
Thanks for the input on the rim sprockets. I let this one go for too long. I made some cuts on an Alder log with the new chain installed. It cut nice and went thru the log like butter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts