My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford 3000 gas 3 cylinder
I put a new Zenith carb on, tuned good, everything seems to be working great.
I park and shut the tractor off and all of a sudden gas is dripping out of some sort of weep hole on the bottom. It turned to a small steady stream for about a minute then went back to dripping every couple seconds or so. About a half hour later, still dripping.
Any ideas? It's to late to get a hold of anyone where I ordered it from. I will have to wait until Monday for that.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Sounds like the needle seat is not shutting off the fuel and allowing the fuel line to drain out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read up on the Zenith carbs. I didn't realize that weep hole was to let excess fuel drain out. Fuel that was pulled up the intake and didn't get burned. They recommend throttling down before shutting it down. Where I parked the tractor, I have to throttle up a incline and into the parking spot. There might have been a lot of excess fuel left when I shut it down. I tapped on the carb a few different times, thinking the float was stuck, but it didn't make a difference.
I plan on working her hard today, I will see how it goes.

Thanks again John!

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Check the oil level before starting the tractor up just to be on the safe sided don`t need a lot of gas in the crank case, that could cost you a motor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do that. How does gas get from the carb to the crankcase while it's sitting? It runs down the intake into the spark chamber area then down? EEEEuuuuu
Sounds like I need to shut fuel off and let the tractor burn up fuel in carb and intake. There has got to be a better way......

·
Repair Shop Owner
15 Posts
It sounds to me like the fuel inlet needle is sticking open. Yes any engine you should throttle down to idel and then shut down. Yes if gas gets threw the main jet in the carb and into the intake it will get into the cyclinder it will wash past the rings and into the bottom end and thin out the oil and strip oil off the bearings and trash a engine pretty quick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think some debris slipped by while all the repairs were being preformed and got stuck in the needle seat. I ran it for about 3 hours this morning with no problems. Mowed some really thick grass (tractor has been down about a month) and she just plowed right thru.
I did let it idle for about a minute and then shut it off, no leaks.
I may change the oil just to check it all out. It was just changed before I bought it. Is there any way to tell if gas has gotten down in the oil other than, higher level on the dipstick? I imagine with this carb and intake design some must get thru every time you shut down.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Take a sniff of the oil, if you have gas in your oil you will know it. If it had gas in the oil and you have now run it for 3 hours, the gas is now gone. You might still get a slight odor of it in the oil if it was every in there. Since the weep hole was weeping I really doubt you have anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again John!
The oil seems thin to me so I am going to change it so I know what type is in there.
Every time I checked the oil today it seemed thin almost watery (with cool motor).

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Better safe than sorry,:fing32:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts