My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new BX2380 last Friday from a dealer here in Ohio. I ordered it with the 60" standard mower deck and a 54" snow blower. The snow blower will take a couple of weeks to come in and that gives me time to clean up my JD X530 for trade. The tractor will be used primarily to mow 2+ acres and remove snow from a long driveway. My question is "what tires should I get on the 2380? Turf or the Industrial. I have a mild slope to the yard and there are wet spots in the Spring. I had HDAP tires on my JD. Also, should I have chains with this unit for blowing snow. My drive in relatively flat but I help out my neighbors and their driveways do slope upward. I am really exited about this new tractor and am really looking forward to delivery.

·
We're all friends here
13,825 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of your new BX. I think you will really like it. For mowing and snow blowing, turf tires should work well. Industrial tires may tear up the lawn in the wet spots. I have some pretty spongy areas too, and although the turfs sometimes make ruts they don’t rip up the lawn. In snow, the 4wd should get you up the driveways. Just go slow and don’t overload the blower. If you are planning to do any tilling or other ground engaging projects you might be better off with more aggressive tires. :wwp:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the purchase of your new BX. I think you will really like it. For mowing and snow blowing, turf tires should work well. Industrial tires may tear up the lawn in the wet spots. I have some pretty spongy areas too, and although the turfs sometimes make ruts they don’t rip up the lawn. In snow, the 4wd should get you up the driveways. Just go slow and don’t overload the blower. If you are planning to do any tilling or other ground engaging projects you might be better off with more aggressive tires. :wwp:
I will certainly will post pics when the tractor is delivered. We're waiting on the snow blower which is due in this weekend.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I ordered a new BX2380 last Friday from a dealer here in Ohio. I ordered it with the 60" standard mower deck and a 54" snow blower. The snow blower will take a couple of weeks to come in and that gives me time to clean up my JD X530 for trade. The tractor will be used primarily to mow 2+ acres and remove snow from a long driveway. My question is "what tires should I get on the 2380? Turf or the Industrial. I have a mild slope to the yard and there are wet spots in the Spring. I had HDAP tires on my JD. Also, should I have chains with this unit for blowing snow. My drive in relatively flat but I help out my neighbors and their driveways do slope upward. I am really exited about this new tractor and am really looking forward to delivery.
My friend has had his BX2380 with 54” deck for about two summers. He just got his 50” snowblower. He has turf tires, but because of the slope on his 300’ blacktop driveways (2X), he may add something like the terra grips (rubber chain alternatives). I’ll check tomorrow to see how he made out with the last 8” snow with ice under it. He has had NO problems with the turf tires and 2WD in the grass and has slopes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I plow snow with turfs no chains, sometimes deep snow, you’ll be surprised how well the turfs work in the snow, probably better than the R4s. Also it will be quite a bit better than the JD because of its weight...and it’s orange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I checked with my friend with his new 50” blower on his BX2380. He bought the rubber linked tire grips, but he tried without putting them on and he said he didn’t have any trouble, but used 4WD. He was throwing wet snow about 30’ and was icy underneath on his sloping driveway. That’s about as good a test as you get.

Last winter’s look is attached and yes I was pushing snow with the bumper.
E98EB6BB-AB27-48A8-85A2-C572B09DED1E.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have only one use of a new BX1880 with Turf tires to offer for consideration. I have the 50" snowblower on it, homemade 40 lb. each wheelweights, and a fashioned 120 lb weight/drawbar on the 3-point hitch. A recent 8" snowfall needed to be cleared from my 60 yd long driveway yesterday. Using 4-wheel drive, it handled even the steep parts with nary a complaint or slip. I also bought tire chains for the rear wheels but will not even open the bag if this tractor continues to function like it did yesterday. So far, I'm happy, but there is a lot of winter left for comparison.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turftow, that's good to hear. I did purchase a set of Cains from Amazon but will hold off putting them on. The dealer is still waiting for delivery of the snow blower so I haven't received the tractor yet. I really anxious to get the thing delivered so I can get on with doing some work with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tractor finally arrived. I spent last night reading manuals. So much more to remember than with the JD X530. I want to add a light to the the rear of the tractor so I can see things behind me at night when blowing snow. I have heard there is a place to wire it into that its wired to an open place in the fuse box. Can some direct me so I can find this open connection?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Not sure where the wire is you are referring to, but under the right rear, you will find the wiring for the taillights. You also can use the accessory outlet, but I don’t remember if it is switched OFF with the ignition switch.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Try going through a winter without chains first. I don’t think a bx with turfs needs chains to plow, I’ve plowed 3 ft snows with my 1860 loader. It pushes a huge pile in front of the bucket. When we have icy stuff, it’s not deep, so doesn’t take much to push, never had a problem in 10 years. I do have a ballast box with 300lbs of sand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try going through a winter without chains first. I don’t think a bx with turfs needs chains to plow, I’ve plowed 3 ft snows with my 1860 loader. It pushes a huge pile in front of the bucket. When we have icy stuff, it’s not deep, so doesn’t take much to push, never had a problem in 10 years. I do have a ballast box with 300lbs of sand.

Orangetractor,
Did you make or purchase you ballast box. I have 170# of suitcase weights left over from my JD. I would like to find a way to mount them on the rear of the tractor.

·
We're all friends here
13,825 Posts
You may be able to use your JD weights if you get a Heavy Hitch. I have 7 - 25 lb. JD suitcase weights that I use on mine. They don't sit perfectly vertical because the weight bracket is slightly too long, but they won't come off. The Heavy Hitch also has a useful trailer hitch receiver, and is well-made.
1576284981251.png

·
Registered
624 Posts
Orangetractor,
Did you make or purchase you ballast box. I have 170# of suitcase weights left over from my JD. I would like to find a way to mount them on the rear of the tractor.
I bought the kubota box that fits the bx and b series.
don’t remember the price, but it wasn’t a lot. it’s nicely made, easy to add any type of weight, convenient to carry things in it. Lots of people use a heavy hitch with suitcase weights too like AP suggests, that works.

The box does move the weight back further, makin it more effective, to balance out the loader. Also you can put a lot of weight in. The box is about 100 lbs, so with the 300 lbs of sand I have in there, it’s 400 lbs pretty far back, really makes the tractor very stable with a load in the bucket, and lots of traction in the snow, The box is also easy to take on and off, it will stand on its own, don’t need to take weight in or out to mount, dismount in a couple minutes.

·
We're all friends here
13,825 Posts
OT, that is one big box. A guy could put his Mother-in-law in there and he wouldn't have to listen to her over the noise of the tractor. :cool:

·
Old Tractor Enthusiest
417 Posts
Nice looking SCUT. Congratulations! Think you'll love it.

As for tires, turfs are the way to go. I have a BX23 with a set of turfs, R-4 and AGs. Put 1100+ hours on it in the 10 years I've owned it. Done a LOT of testing with the different tire combinations when plowing snow, pushing dirt with the FEL and grading dirt with a box blade. Found it interesting that the turfs actually performed better than the R-4's and AGs in snow. Not sure if it's the tire compound, but for sure the turfs do better.

Use AGs on one of my Gravely walk behinds and for that setup, AGs are superior for pushing snow. Use Snow Hog tires on the other Gravely with snow cannon, which work well for that setup too. As suggested by other, also suggest skipping chains. They tear up hard surfaces and provide a ride like being on a washboard - not worth it, and with a blower you should be fine all around anyway.

When cutting grass the R-4's and/or AGs WILL tear up your yard. If the grass is wet, the damage is even greater with R-4's or AGs compared to turfs.

I have a steep hill in front of our house and the turfs do fine on it. The hill drops about 8 feet over a 25 foot run, which is steep but the BX will mow it either direction with fairly dry ground or drier. Just don't forget to engage the 4wd when mowing on a hill. The first time you don't will be an exciting ride you'll never forget. The rears don't have enough grip to keep from sliding down hill and it is an uncontrolled decent, even when standing on the break lever. Been there done that and it's not fun. (not my smarter moments in life).

About weight and snow... yea, you need weight and the more the better. When it comes to sheer pushing, a BX will push more snow with the FEL on than with the 60" dozer blade. It's a combination of the FEL weighing slightly more and having the weight further out in front to give the front axle more traction. The extra weight on the front axle helps more than the rear because the tire contact patch is much smaller in front. Thus any extra weight applied to the front provides more results compared to the rear.
The blower you bought is a beast - about the same weight as my 60" blade. Here's where it get's tricky... If you fill that ballast box full, that's a lot of weight way out back. The distance behind the rear axle means it could actually make the front end a bit light when having the blower on float. If you find the front end lacking steering control, just bump the blower up a notch to weighten the front wheels. When I get into a traction starved situation plowing snow, I just raise the front blade slightly to load the front wheels. Keeps me out of trouble most of the time.

A nice option to the rear ballast box is to make a weight bracket that mounts underneath the tractor using the mid-mount mower (MMM) lift arms. That's what I did and having the weight in between both axes helps traction in front and rear - it works great and was worth the time. Made the bracket out of 1-1/2" angle with "clips" that hang over the front of the MMM lift arms that also allows the MMM lift arm "clips" to secure the other/rear end of the bracket. Got some used 1" and 2" plate steel at the local steel supply center for weight. Put 2 plates on the MMM bracket and 2 plates on the rear hitch too. With about 225 lbs slung on the MMM arms and 200 lbs on the rear hitch the additional weight made a big difference. Plus, my 270 lbs of dead weight in the seat helps too. The total cost of the 4 pieces of plate steel was less than the cost of one set of tire weights from Kubota for the rear tires on a BX.

Lastly, in the winter I often put a 48" box blade on the back of my BX. The weight augments the weight of the steel plate carried by the MMM arms. It also provides the option to push snow backwards, which can significantly improve productivity in some situations. It also provides the option of cutting through compacted snows that otherwise can't be removed by the front blade (I use a 1" rubber wear edge on the front blade and highly recommend them if anyone else out there has a front blade) IMO a box blade is more handy to have on the back than a weight box if you are on hard surfaces (asphalt or concrete). If you are on gravel, then of course a box blade would only be good for weight.

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
I want to add a light to the the rear of the tractor so I can see things behind me at night when blowing snow. I have heard there is a place to wire it into that its wired to an open place in the fuse box. Can some direct me so I can find this open connection?
Here is a link with picture https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/files/kubota-owning-operating/317457d1368383241-12-volt-connector-rear-bx-bx24-exposed-wire-connections-jpg and quote from TBN about rear hookup on BX series.
an aux plug at the rear, above the top link, buried in a wire loom that is used for a rear work light although it could be adapted to other uses
Hope this helps.
MikeC

1 - 20 of 33 Posts