My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. The mower on my new Broadmoor 22/44 changed its tune while mowing last week, literally. As I was edging along my driveway, the mower changed its quiet and muffled higher-pitched sound to a louder, husky, low and grovely sound. It still works fine, no performance issues and no noticeable loss of power. I have since removed the deck twice and cleaned underneath. I can confirm that it is the deck, and not the engine, that is making the noise. I do not use any attachments or a mulch plug. But the new sound almost makes me think that something fell off that was previously buffering the sound. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like a arbor bearing on its way out. I would take all belts off the deck, and slowly turn the arbors by hand making sure they are smooth, and make sure there is no play. It could also be a bearing in an idler pulley, or the PTO could have a problem.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Are the blades tight? Maybe one is not turning at full speed, due to being loose on the arbor (dangerous!) or perhaps a belt slipping?
My deck gets quieter when it's partially clogged with grass accumulation underneath. Less airflow and my deck makes quite roar with airflow underneath, can't even hear the engine. You say you have cleaned under there, so that's not your problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I am a little shell-shocked that these types of things could happen to a brand new mower with only 25 hours. I will let you know the outcome.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I am a little shell-shocked that these types of things could happen to a brand new mower with only 25 hours. I will let you know the outcome.
Don't be shocked any make can have an issue and the good thing is it's under warranty. Maybe take it to the dealer and have them check it out. slkpk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also had the same problem with my 2010 Broadmoor 20/46,along with the change in noise,was also a small change in vibration.My first thought was something got snagged up in one of the pulleys.Pulled off the deck,and did not see anything,decided to grease all the arbors.Reinstalled the deck,fired her up,still did it for about 2 minutes,then all of a sudden it went away.This was at about 35 hours,got 53 hours so far and no problems since.I am going to pull the deck today to regrease and touch up the blades.I think I will make this a 20 hr maint. thing.I wonder if this is a factory quality control issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved - debris stuck in the pulley. Missed it on my previous inspections. Thanks for all the advice - spotted it when I was turning by hand.:thanku:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts