My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local auction had this up for sale and I won the bid. The piston was binding on the top stroke but with some transmission fluid and a little working it spins free now with compression. I am not getting spark and it has old gas in it so I need to clean the carb and check the ignition system. It is a model 5006

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good find. The 5006 was the last brick top made. It has the factory installed needle bearing in the lower end of the crankcase.Looks like it spent some time out in the weather, but i've seen a lot worse. Are you going to restore it?

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Nice score :) I almost nabbed one off eBay but held off and it sold.

·
Registered
1988 Ford LGT 18H,Allis Chalmers 716,1963 Homko snowblower,1978 John Deere n12sg,And various vtg saw
46 Posts
Good score i like these vintage lawnboys and vintage walk behinds in genaral.I have a vintage john deere 21sp that was a barn find sat about (15-20) years gave it a solid state conversion cleaned the carb runs like new.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good find. The 5006 was the last brick top made. It has the factory installed needle bearing in the lower end of the crankcase.Looks like it spent some time out in the weather, but i've seen a lot worse. Are you going to restore it?
I will get it running, IDK, I like patina.

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,123 Posts
Very nice find and definitely a keeper. That deck and shroud may clean up pretty well with a bit of polishing compound and some wax after a good cleaning and getting it running. Looking forward to your progress. Bill

Reactions: Lawn boy 2006

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice find and definitely a keeper. That deck and shroud may clean up pretty well with a bit of polishing compound and some wax after a good cleaning and getting it running. Looking forward to your progress. Bill
Well it will be a runner! I replaced a bad coil (had an old one in my stock), set the points and she fires, lit her off real quick with some carb cleaner just enough to hear it fire. Now to clean the carb.

I think the deck will clean up too, just oxidized. Once I get it running I will work on cleaning everything

·
Registered
257 Posts
SHE RUNS!!!

Cleaned the carb, fixed the on off switch, replaced fuel lines and she fires up. A quick mixture and governor adjustment and we have a LawnBoy rescued from the grave. I need to buy her a set of wheels, clean her up and sharpen the blade.
Congrats! Always a happy moment when they sputter back to life.

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
691 Posts
Very nice find !!

Doug

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,195 Posts
Great news! Another one rescued! I like patina okay to, but in this case I think I would take all apart, clean it real good, have the deck and shroud powder coated grabber green, install a new set of decals and put it to work for another 40 years. That's just me, nothing at all wrong with it as is. Those are definitely unique little bricks, production was stopped on bricks around 1977ish and about 5 years later they were brought back to life with some tweaks here and there. I suppose they used a different vendor for the decals as well because I've noticed the 1982 models all have a slightly different decal than the older 70s bricks like what I had. I'm thinking the 82 version was just a big rectangle with the graphics contained within the rectangle and the typical 70s version was just letters on the shroud. FWIW, Ebay seller "mancomb" makes the bricktop decals as accurate as I've seen. Pretty much identical to the factory decals. I have used his brick decals on a few of mine and they hold up well to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great news! Another one rescued! I like patina okay to, but in this case I think I would take all apart, clean it real good, have the deck and shroud powder coated grabber green, install a new set of decals and put it to work for another 40 years. That's just me, nothing at all wrong with it as is. Those are definitely unique little bricks, production was stopped on bricks around 1977ish and about 5 years later they were brought back to life with some tweaks here and there. I suppose they used a different vendor for the decals as well because I've noticed the 1982 models all have a slightly different decal than the older 70s bricks like what I had. I'm thinking the 82 version was just a big rectangle with the graphics contained within the rectangle and the typical 70s version was just letters on the shroud. FWIW, Ebay seller "mancomb" makes the bricktop decals as accurate as I've seen. Pretty much identical to the factory decals. I have used his brick decals on a few of mine and they hold up well to.
I was wondering why Brick Tops were made in the 80's when the F engines were in full swing. That gave those little D engines almost a 30 year run. As for mechanicals it looked the same as older Brick Tops with points and condenser. My F Series is a much more powerful machine. I wonder how many 82 models were made and were they made because of left over parts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bought a new wheel, she rolls again. Took her outside, primed her 2-3 times, one pull and she started.

The 7299 recoil cord broke, got the 5232 out to finish the job, one pull and she started. The 5006 needs a blade sharpening and a carbon cleaning before she hits the yard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Used the 5006 the other day, I need to work on the gov speed and the flywheel screen broke but it ran strong. I have a screen from a different brick top. Also replaced 2nd rear wheel that broke, need to buy front wheels.

I now have 2 LawnBoys out of service. The 1964 Bricktop has picked up the mowing duties until I fix the recoil on the 7229 although I need the 19" deck for some of the tight areas I need to get into. The 5006 won't be too hard to get up and running again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
5006 is up and running again, still needs tweaking. I need to pull the engine off the deck on the 7229 to get the alan screw out for the recoil, feels like it is stripped. Need to turn the engine upside down to gain access.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts