My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking of building another boat the last few years. Where I boat is in a bay, that has some pretty shallow parts. Also in most cases I am running at displacement speeds, and as you fellow motors know.... a normaly V bottom planing runabout is a REAL PITA at low speeds!!! Sooo... I have been looking into displacement boats... well if you have shopped boats at all, you will see that 99.9% of them are planing, high powerd crafts. NOT what is realy right for me. Soo going back in time a little and building one. I dont want anything TOO big. Big enough to fit 4-5 people, and take a little chop, and smooth seas, and not too big that its a pain to trailer, launch. 20 foot give or take seems to be about right for me. My mooring tends to get shallow. So I pretty much need less then two feet of draft., BUT enough bow deadrise to survive some waves wile on the hook. Soo.... Im realy looking at this...

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html

I have a few small plywood skiffs under my belt, so wile this look to be a challange, it seems dooable also..

What do you think????? Any you boat guys, have any other thoughts/ideas???

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,586 Posts
I like the look of the Bo Jest, and the 21" draft is perfect for the shallow bays. Might be a little too bouncy though, in wakes. :)

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Neat Paul .. but boy that is a LOT of time to build one. Looking at the photos I found this about one of the builds

BO JEST - built by Marcel and Jill Dedycker, Sacramento, CA
Time to Build: 1200 hours in 17 months
Cost: $11,400--includes engine $3,900

·
Super Moderator
32,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Neat Paul .. but boy that is a LOT of time to build one. Looking at the photos I found this about one of the builds

BO JEST - built by Marcel and Jill Dedycker, Sacramento, CA
Time to Build: 1200 hours in 17 months
Cost: $11,400--includes engine $3,900
Oh ya... but its also not going to be a one winter project. Also Im thinking of more a "workboat" type build. Not all the fancy stuff... just good "go out and use it" workmanship.

·
Administrator
12,694 Posts
The mini tug is awesome, Mass Maritime Academy has 2 very similar ones. One on the hard and one in the water in a slip next to the Training Vessel "Kennedy". My 7 year old loves the name, "Hercules".
The launch would be great as well. I like both your choices. :trink39:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Those Pacific Dory designs are very good boats. You can launch them thru the surf and they handle heavy water very well. Not much for a soft ride when it gets choppy but I've spent a number of days fishing for salmon out of them.

If you need shallow draft and rough water capability with good fuel consumption numbers this would be a good one to check closely.

Lugar Boats used to offer plans for a couple of pram bow wide beam plans that were easy to build but capable of being "added too" for more complex designs. I know of one build that the guy finished in about six months that is still floating around some 30 years later. These boats would float on a heavy dew but, again, were not that great in chop.

Never been around one but I've heard good things about some of the "Lobster Boat" designs for shallow water use.

Having built a couple of tubs I admire your courage.

Mike

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I knew a guy that built a double ender, it had a opening in the center to drop a outboard motor in, bottom was flat the the sides flared out, had a lap streak hull design. I`m pretty sure he built if from plans, Don`t know how hard it would be to trailer without removing the motor, was a neat looking open boat just the same. That design wouldn't leave much of a wake either.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Make sure you invest in a lot of sanding equipment ;)

I've built the Glen-L 9' "Tubby Tug". It was a lot of fun, but a lot of frustration at times as well. You learn a lot of new technique when fitting things together -- nothing is ever square.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts