My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Do what?
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Model# 42910X92A Murray 42" riding mower w/B&S engine.
Was working fine last summer, but the battery died while it sat under an awning for about six months.
Bought a new battery, put it on the "battery tender" and fully charged it.
Installed the battery, turned the key... and nothing. No "click", no lights or anything. Fuse is OK, and I see no obvious damage (or corrosion) to any wires.
What's the most likely culprit? Start/ignition switch?

The great thing is, the mower is 3.5 hours from my house. Sarcasm.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
As northbama said, check the safety interlock switches (seat switch, brake engaged, pto, etc.) first, then at the ignition switch to ensure they are all working.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
Rereading your post again, even though it is a new battery, what is the output voltage? Should be 13 point something volts DC. Check also the battery connections to ensure they are clean & tight.

·
Registered
722 Posts
As northbama said, check the safety interlock switches (seat switch, brake engaged, pto, etc.) first, then at the ignition switch to ensure they are all working.
yes i agree could be some corrosion on the switch terminals

·
Do what?
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery was at 13.7.
Cables are clean, tight and good.
I'll order a new switch to take with me next trip, just in case. (long drive to the middle of nowhere)
I hate electrics, but I have a good multi-meter with instruction manual!

Thanks.

Reactions: northbama

·
Hoosier Daddy
897 Posts
I've had safety switches keep a rider from starting. A lot of times, it's not even the switch that's bad.
Could be the deck engagement lever is raised 1/4" or something, a bent mounting bracket that the switch is assembled to, etc...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Daddy John is correct:

Do not just start throwing parts at it. That can sometimes just cause additional problems.

Get out your voltmeter and do some testing so as you can logically fix the rig.
Consider it a learning experience for using your voltmeter. Too many things can cause what you describe and take a look at the wiring diagram posted.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
As a diagnostic test only pull the small wire from the starter solenoid tab and apply a jumper to the small tab from battery pos. If it cranks you have circuit problem from battery positive through keyswitch brake safety blade engagement safety to starter solenoid. If it doesn't crank then bad starter solenoid or starter or cabling of them or bad chassis ground .

·
Do what?
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update.
Went back 6-8 weeks ago. set the charger on the battery for an hour.
Cranked fine.?!
Then it would start, run and die.
Long story short, carburetor was too gunked to rebuild, so bought a replacement from China for $16 and it starts and runs. New issue in new thread...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I put the fuel shutoffs on both my riding mowers a few years back after reading recommendations on here. It just takes a little getting used to, to remember to turn them on or off.
Update.
Went back 6-8 weeks ago. set the charger on the battery for an hour.
Cranked fine.?!
Then it would start, run and die.
Long story short, carburetor was too gunked to rebuild, so bought a replacement from China for $16 and it starts and runs. New issue in new thread...
Give us a hint link to your NEW THREAD????

·
5,896 Posts
Give us a hint link to your NEW THREAD????

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If the carb was that bad, make sure you add stabilizer to your fuel. I prefer to use StarTron, 1 oz to 6 gal of Regular gas.

·
Do what?
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New thread=

1 - 17 of 17 Posts