My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Do what?
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Model# 42910X92A Murray 42" riding mower w/B&S engine.
Was working fine last summer, but the battery died while it sat under an awning for about six months.
Bought a new battery, put it on the "battery tender" and fully charged it.
Installed the battery, turned the key... and nothing. No "click", no lights or anything. Fuse is OK, and I see no obvious damage (or corrosion) to any wires.
What's the most likely culprit? Start/ignition switch?

The great thing is, the mower is 3.5 hours from my house. Sarcasm.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
As northbama said, check the safety interlock switches (seat switch, brake engaged, pto, etc.) first, then at the ignition switch to ensure they are all working.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Rereading your post again, even though it is a new battery, what is the output voltage? Should be 13 point something volts DC. Check also the battery connections to ensure they are clean & tight.

·
Registered
560 Posts
As northbama said, check the safety interlock switches (seat switch, brake engaged, pto, etc.) first, then at the ignition switch to ensure they are all working.
yes i agree could be some corrosion on the switch terminals

·
Do what?
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery was at 13.7.
Cables are clean, tight and good.
I'll order a new switch to take with me next trip, just in case. (long drive to the middle of nowhere)
I hate electrics, but I have a good multi-meter with instruction manual!

Thanks.

·
Hoosier Daddy
765 Posts
I've had safety switches keep a rider from starting. A lot of times, it's not even the switch that's bad.
Could be the deck engagement lever is raised 1/4" or something, a bent mounting bracket that the switch is assembled to, etc...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts