My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend call up today, and told me he had a free tractor if I wanted it. It's a Cub Cadet 70 (my favorite) but it's all apart. He thought it was complete, however. I said I'd take it, sight unseen! I'm sure it will be good for parts, if nothing else. More info coming when I actually get it (it might be a few weeks).

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Great. looking and waiting :) When ya moveing up here to SC ? Is that an Allis Chamers in your avitar ? what model ? gee i got a lot of question LOL.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No- that's a CC Original in my avatar. As for SC- I'd like to start building next year some time, if we can get the money together. We have to sell our house here first, and that's not looking good, so we may have to have a plan B.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Free is wonderful. There is always something you can use.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well- here's my new 'tractor-in-a-box'. It's actually in much better shape than I expected- it turns out it was functional, but the guy took it apart to paint it and lost interest. The motor looks really good, the frame is good, tranny, etc. The starter/generator works, too. The tires are old, and the seat is rusted out, but other than that, I've got another tractor! Unfortunately, he brush painted the frame and tranny without the benefit of cleaning them first. Painted right over the grease and dirt! Oddly enough, I realized after I got home that the dash tower is missing- he either lost it, or has it somewhere else. I have a spare, but I'd like to get it if he still has it. Better than throwing it out. Despite the surface rust, the hood is straight, and not heavily pitted.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Nice find and good luck with your project. slkpk

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'd have loved to come across that deal!!! I bought a 70 model Cub Cadet new way back when, used it to mow counrty cemetarys. Bearings in the mower kept going bad so I traded for a new 100 model. Those old Cubs sure bring back memories.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my second 70; the other one is being used for a 'special' project that will be revealed on this forum once it's done (Don''t worry- I'm not doing anything to it that isn't reversible). It will be neat to have a stock one to display next to the custom job. I'd really like to find a good mower deck for the 70 and actually use it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I didn't know Revell made kits of garden tractors. :) It would have been easier to paint the parts if you left them on the molding sprues.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Brush paint may be ugly to look at, but it does protect against rust, which may be a blessing in this case. It can always be removed and corrected easier than filling in rust holes and pitting. I would have taken it for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts