My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter asked if I could build a barn for her toys. I thought this would be a nice time to make a scale model of the shed I'm planning on building. Don't laugh if it's out of square.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you Ken. A year at this point. Not full on though, I have had to stop a bunch of times to think. We only have 2 real round barns around here and I am working from the under-developed pictures in my mind. And some library books.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
The ridge beams in round barns were made in segments of a circle. The 2 barns I have seen the ridge beams were made up of sections of 2x8s. I was on a DHIA tour at the time and the one farm had 2 round barns. The owner told the group that the barns were built from kits in 1920. His grandfather had them built. Sadly both barns are gone now.
Dave

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
That looks incredible.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Wow, just wow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ridge beams in round barns were made in segments of a circle. The 2 barns I have seen the ridge beams were made up of sections of 2x8s. I was on a DHIA tour at the time and the one farm had 2 round barns. The owner told the group that the barns were built from kits in 1920. His grandfather had them built. Sadly both barns are gone now.
Dave
One of the books I read was called "A round Indiana". The 2 barns we have here were both built about the same time. I'm planning on using 3/4 CDX plywood for my plates, and ridge beam. I'm going to make a steam box for the sidewall girts, which will be 1x.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Very Nice !!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to start cutting siding and shingles this weekend. I hope they look as good in real life as they do in my head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts