My Tractor Forum banner

Do you like the retro 8N ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you Ford nuts the Fiancée and I went to the Calhoun County Fair today and saw some really interesting tractors including a rare Ford 8N with a flathead six and A brand new Ford/New Holland Retro 8N that they have on the market now.

I don't know if any of you have seen one yet but I thought I would post it for anyone who hasn't.

The new one has:

50hp

4 wheel drive

Power everything

H.I.D. projector headlights

$31.000 base

$35.000 with FEL

At least this is what the salesman said

Attachments

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
The Boomer 8N has been out for 18 - 24 months. Nice machine, 4x4, etc. A bit pricey.

Usually you see a flathead V8 stuffed into a Ford. I've never seen a straight 6. I wonder how they got the extra length to fit?

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,731 Posts
I saw this at Malvese, the local Ford dealer, about 6 months ago. I will say, looks wise, I was very impressed. I think it's a pretty good representation.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
just like the original mustang looks better than the new retro ones, the original 8N is better than the retro one.. just my .02

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Boomer 8N has been out for 18 - 24 months. Nice machine, 4x4, etc. A bit pricey.

Usually you see a flathead V8 stuffed into a Ford. I've never seen a straight 6. I wonder how they got the extra length to fit?
Really ? I didn't know that thanks, I agree the Boomer does have some character to it but as far as pricey I'll have to take you word on that (I'm not up to speed on the bigger machines since I don't have a need for one) but I did think it was a nice looking tractor.

Now I'm sure to be set straight if I get this wrong so this is my understanding of th 8N.

They came with 4 cyl. engines.

The one I saw is 1 of 50 ever made that came from the factory stock with a 6 cyl.

The ones that have a flathead 8 cyl are conversions from a company called www.awesomehenry.com.

I don't know if my info is right or not but all I can say is I was in heaven seeing all this old iron.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
i dont think ford put straight 6's in n's or there would be talk of it on one of the various internet boards at some point. i would say a company put it in like funk and plus didnt funk do a straight 6 as well?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I saw the Boomer 8N in person at the local tractor show last yr. I have a brochure. If you are wondering how comfortable the seat is on these, its not the best but it was a lot cooler than the standard New Holland seat.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think ford put straight 6's in n's or there would be talk of it on one of the various internet boards at some point. i would say a company put it in like funk and plus didnt funk do a straight 6 as well?
I can't tell you that ?

I'm not familiar with the 8N at all, I just went by the plaque on the tractor so I really don't know but if it is authentic It would seem a good guess that if only 50 were ever made then that could be why theres not much known about them ?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a funk...No N's came off the line with them.
Hmmmm guess maybe someone should call him and let him know it's not as rare as he thinks nor is it stock ?

I know it wont be me, don't need him walking up to my door with a shotgun lol !

·
Registered
228 Posts
a family friend of mine thinks his 9n is rare because when he repainted it he only found orange paint, it is rare just not ford factory.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Howdy Ron, where you at the tractor pulls too? Had my 9N there (I'm stuck in the city too, Marshall). The new 8N may be nice but I'd rather buy a 961 with the elenco front axle and have a tractor with some class. As for the 8n with the straight 6 I saw that there too and tried to explain it to the guy but he swears it was built by Ford. Ford never built anything but a straight 4 L Head. Funk aviation bought 100 Ford 8n's and converted 50 to a straight 6 and converted 50 to the V8. They had problems initially with the V8's tearing up the rear end gears. After talking to Henry it was found that an unknown number of the gears made it into production with out being heat treated. The problem was corrected and V8's have been doing just fine in all the N's ever since.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy Ron, where you at the tractor pulls too? Had my 9N there (I'm stuck in the city too, Marshall). The new 8N may be nice but I'd rather buy a 961 with the elenco front axle and have a tractor with some class. As for the 8n with the straight 6 I saw that there too and tried to explain it to the guy but he swears it was built by Ford. Ford never built anything but a straight 4 L Head. Funk aviation bought 100 Ford 8n's and converted 50 to a straight 6 and converted 50 to the V8. They had problems initially with the V8's tearing up the rear end gears. After talking to Henry it was found that an unknown number of the gears made it into production with out being heat treated. The problem was corrected and V8's have been doing just fine in all the N's ever since.
Well I'll be how are you Dan

No I didn't get to stay for the pull which I really wanted to but the Fiancée was getting tired and cranky so we had to go.

I wasn't sure about the 8N but I thought it was neat to finally see a six in one, most of the time we were watching my soon to be niece showing her horse (I'm so proud of her) she did very well and was asked to do the grand national if I'm getting it right?

Did you see the old JD L tractor I didn't think they made one that small.

To be honest to me Marshall really isn't the city since I'm originally from Detroit but I guess if I grew up around here it would be, but I like Marshall a heck of lot better than were I was.

I checked you link out is this your Rescue ? And where is it I could swear I've seen it, I live on the eastern outer edge of Homer.

Nice to meet someone from the area.

Ron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
they had a pair of them "L's" at the show in Homer last summer, my 9N Maude was there too. She gets around I hear. Niece looks like she's doing just fine. The pictures on our website are from our farm in Coleman, to make a long story short we lost it, got hired here by head hunters and moved into Marshall. Lived in Homer for about six months until we found this house in Marshall for sale dirt cheap. Plan to move back onto a small farm and start the rescue again soon as we can find some good land for sale.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they had a pair of them "L's" at the show in Homer last summer, my 9N Maude was there too. She gets around I hear. Niece looks like she's doing just fine. The pictures on our website are from our farm in Coleman, to make a long story short we lost it, got hired here by head hunters and moved into Marshall. Lived in Homer for about six months until we found this house in Marshall for sale dirt cheap. Plan to move back onto a small farm and start the rescue again soon as we can find some good land for sale.
I'll keep my eyes open for you if you like.

I'm sorry to here you lost it your place it seems to be more and more commonplace In this day and age.

Hope when you get some time you let me by you some coffee, Biggby isn't too bad but I'm sure you know some better places there that I haven't found yet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi all,

On the Funk 8N conversions, the best info I have found is there were around 5000 of the flat head 6cyl. conversions done to the 8N including both the early ones with the frame rails and the later ones with the cast oil pans for support. There were around 200 of the flat head V8 ones originally done but of course there are more than that now since they are being reproduced. As for the OHV 6cyl. conversions, only about 200 at most of them were done and they are the rarest of the Funk 8N conversions done. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts