My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this 4208 and Broadmoor for $125 and $100. Both listings said that they don't run, so I picked them up knowing they'd be a project. Needless to say I'm not regretting it. When I picked up the Broadmoor we got it to pop, so I just need to get the pull start mechanism fixed. The next day I went to pick up the 4208, guy said it didn't run or fire at all. So I took the spark plug out, cleaned it enough to get it to run, and put it back in. Put gas in it, started to crank it over and then gas started to shoot out the exhaust. So while thinking about what it could be, I noticed the whole carb was filling up with gas. So right then and there I had a good idea that it was going to be the float. Once I drained the rest of the fuel, I took the bowl off and sure enough the needle wasn't going up all the way, so it wasn't shutting off the fuel. Once I took the float apart, cleaned the needle, and checked the seating surface. I put it back together, filled it with fuel and then went to crank it. As soon as got fuel into the intake stream, it lit off and it was running and idling perfectly. Then I went to go put it in gear...... As soon as I lifted my foot off the clutch all I heard was grinding. Just to be sure I checked the pulleys, and belt (just in case), all good and tight. So then I wanted to have a look at the pinion and ring gear, went to take off the tires and then I noticed that the passenger side rim was beat onto the axle, and the axle end was mushroomed on the rim. At that point I just figured it'd be best to just cut the rim off. Once that came off, I took out the transaxle, and took a peak inside. Needless to say I had found my problem. The pinion was worn a decent amount, and the ring/bevel gear was decently worn and chipped in places. So now I'm in the process of getting the parts needed to get this 4208 moving on its own again. Any advice/info would be appreciated.

Have a good day!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts