My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I'm pretty excited. I just purchased a 955 tonight.... well most of one anyway. :ROF

The hood and grille are missing and the transmission is out of it, but is included. As part of the deal, I also get a parts 855 that is also missing the hood, grille, engine side panels, engine and one front knuckle. There is also a good sized pile of parts that goes with them.

I still have to make arrangements to go pick them up and then I'll have some work ahead of me to get the 955 running. I'll have quite a few parts left over to either stash away as spares or sell to recoupe some money.

Here's my two piles (pics stolen from the sellers ad):
955right.jpg parts1.jpg

855right.jpg parts2.jpg

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Yep, got your self a project right there all right, best wishes in getting her re-built :fing32:.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.... I'm a glutten for punishment and I do like a challenge. I'm not skeerd to get my hands dirty and I'd put my mechanical apptitude at well above average. I tend to take on tasks and projects that most people wouldn't touch with someone else's 10 foot pole, but I really don't think this is going to be that bad.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

:ditto::ditto: Doing it yourself will save you. You should be in it right.
^^^
Almost everything I have is because of this. Very seldom can I afford (or at least justify to myself) to just buy outright. I look for stuff that other people don't want to or can't do themselves and it not worth it to them to pay someone else to fix. I pick it up and put a little sweat equity into it and end up with a nice piece for a fraction of the cost. I take a lot of pride in being able to fix stuff myself..... and it often gives me an excuse to buy some more tools..

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up the tractors today....a little less than 600 miles round trip. Getting this thing operational is definately going to be an adventure.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:goodl: and keep us updated on your adventure. slkpk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good Score! Id love to have those ags for my 855 .

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I'm not sure how I missed this thread until this morning, but that was a nice haul.

We definitely need pictures with progress notes. :fing32:

·
16,808 Posts
You have some serious wrencing in front of you--but when done they are a beast!

I used one for two years at my late bosses farm, and with a FEL--are the cat's meow...

Keep us updated!

glenn

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's just say that my wife was less than impressed with my purchase. She heard me drive up and came outside. She made it half way over the trailer and said, "Is that what you bought???", rolled her eyes, turned and walked away.:ROF The woman has no faith in my abilities and obviously doesn't share my vision.

·
16,808 Posts
Let's just say that my wife was less than impressed with my purchase. She heard me drive up and came outside. She made it half way over the trailer and said, "Is that what you bought???", rolled her eyes, turned and walked away.:ROF The woman has no faith in my abilities and obviously doesn't share my vision.
Bet she'll change her tune when it's up and running and looking great.,.
They just don't understand--the dream or vision...:banghead3

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I get that a lot too. Don't worry, she'll come around when you have a running machine. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
552 Posts
My wife did that to me when i bought my harley.It was an electra glide basket case.I put pistons,rings,cam and oil pump in it and waxed and detailed it and it is now our pride and joy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm with you I would rather take somebodies unwanted project and rebuild it my self than pay top dollar for the same thing that someone else fixed. I guess its probably because I,m a little bit cheep, I like to beat my hands up, add to the tool collection, and I do get satisfaction from fixing things. Right now I,m in the process maintaining and adding to my fleet of junk cars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts