My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to put a low buck addition on one of my barns/shops. I recently acquired a lot of used 14' 2x8's and about 30 sheets of used exposure 2, 3/4" ply. With what I have on hand, I'm hoping to knock this out for less than 500 bucks. The biggest problem is time. I have a business or 2 to run and I coach my daughters travel softball team, so I only get a couple hours here and there. This is what I've got done in about a month. It's 10' x 34' and will have a 3" pitch roof. I'll post more pics as I go. I'm hoping to be done by Columbus Day.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
:fing32: Ellis

Are you planing on using metal for the roof ? Because 3" of pitch in 10' sure will cause you some problems with other types of roofing materials.

Go EAGLES :050:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:fing32: Ellis

Are you planing on using metal for the roof ? Because 3" of pitch in 10' sure will cause you some problems with other types of roofing materials.

Go EAGLES :050:
No, I'll be using asphalt. The 3" pitch is per foot. I'll have a 30" rise. This will give me some overhead to store my small engines and wheels/tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you will be fine with a 3/12 pitch on it with some felt paper, one of these day i need to post up pics of the shack i made. kinda a theraopy thing for my arm over 4 years. still not big enough but can get 2 pick-up truck and the tractors under roof when the weather gets mean.

looks good, are going in close all of it or leave part of it like a lean-too?

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks good, are going in close all of it or leave part of it like a lean-too?
Thanks. I'm enclosing one end, the one on the northwest. That'll keep most of the heavy snow out. Also planning a 2 foot overhang. Eventually, as I score more free lumber and time allows, I'll put doors on.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Looks good Ellis. Keep posting pics of your progress. I really enjoy watching projects like this develop from start to finish. Thanks for the pics. :trink39:

·
16,809 Posts
I like to watch, also...Necessity is the mutha of invention..

How did you attach it to the existing building??

glenn

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you attach it to the existing building??

glenn
Nailed and lagged to the studs in the adjacent wall. Should have the rafters up this weekend. I'll post some more pics.

·
Administrator
12,696 Posts
Looks great. I did the same thing a few years back and added a 10' x 20' shed behind my 32' x 20' garage. I framed the floor with 2"x10" 's and 3/4" plywood to keep it off the ground. I store 4 tons of wood pellets for winter and the overflow from my workshop in it. I cut into the existing building for access and have barn doors on one side.
Keep the pictures coming... :trink39:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great. I cut into the existing building for access and have barn doors on one side. Keep the pictures coming... :trink39:
Thanks. I also plan on having a doorway connecting the two. The weekend looks good, I'm chompin' at the bit!

·
Super Moderator
32,161 Posts
Nailed and lagged to the studs in the adjacent wall. Should have the rafters up this weekend. I'll post some more pics.
Oh OK, so those are the cealing joists, not the rafters. I was going to say... There is almost no angle to them at all.

Looks nice. I want to do something like that to my shed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts