My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a fair amount of the day yesterday to work on the addition. Rained out today. Pretty disappointed as I had a goal of having all the rafters up this weekend. Tomorrow I hope to get back at it.

First, I framed out the 4' along the wall which I'm sheathing with the donor 3/4" ply I got. This will be used for storage for small engines, wheels, tires etc. The ply up there now is just temp scaffolding.

Next I put up the roof ridge board. I wound up going with a 3-1/2" roof pitch. While I was there I tore off and replaced the skirt board on the corrugated roof up top. There was a fair amount of rot and the roof was none to secure.

Then it was on to the rafters. Although I made a template, I knew that the existing barn wall wasn't totally straight. So I took the template up and sized each rafter up. I kept the plus and minus numbers in my head and cut 3 or so at a time. Have 8 more to go. A lot of up and down the ladder. It would have been nice to have another set of hands at times, but made some progress. So far I had to buy the 6 x 6's and cement. I'm in $125 so far.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finished up the rafters, sheathed/stained both gable ends and poured the concrete footing where the enclosed end wall will be. Took about 8 hrs. by myself. Ready to put the roof on now. I might try to get some help for that as I'd really like to get it done in a Friday night and a Saturday. Here's the latest pic.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Looking really good.

Nice to see the 6x6's. They will hold up really well.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking really good.

Nice to see the 6x6's. They will hold up really well.
Thanks! I can't wait to get some of my tractors in there. I'll be putting my IH 184, my Ford 3000 FEL, Gravely 16G and a Gravely 8169 in there. Plus attachments and parts.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Look'n good Ellis. :thThumbsU Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see the finished project. I'd love to do something like that on the back of my shop but I think I'm too close to the property line. There really isn't anything in back of me except woods that my neighbor owns. If I get time I may stop by the township office and talk to the zoning officer about it. :trink39:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for asking. No more progress. This past weekend I had a yard sale and this weekend me and the youngest is going up to Maine pike fishing. The following weekend the roof goes on. Weather permitting :praying:

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
That's looking really good. Nice work.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been a while since my last update. I've actually been at it every spare moment I get. I sheathed the roof with the freebie 3/4" ply. Put on the soffit and rake boards. Then shingled it with archies. I was able to knock that out in a day with the help of my neighbor. Having the extra pair of hands was a huge help. Next up is enclosing the left end and finishing up the right end with an arched entrance for my Ford 3000. I also plan on treating the 5 frontloads to arches also. Then it's on to the floor. I got a lead on a ton, probably literally, of pavers. Don't know the design or color yet. Don't care, they're free. As for total cost so far, I'm over my goal of $500. The shingles hit me for $400. Ouch! I'm around $700 total. Some pics.

The roof shingles on, with soffit and rake boards.

I put in a footing and did a row of block I had laying around. This is the foundation for the solid wall on this end. Just wanted to get it off the ground a bit, to keep rotting at bay. I'm definitely not a mason. Took me half an hour to put these few in. But it's solid. Added three anchor bolts.

Started framing out the right end for my Ford entrance. They'll be 45 degree chamfers in the upper corners to create an arch.

The 2x4's I had in stock were on the short side and the treated 4x4's were twisted so I came up with this. 4x4's were cemented in. Nice and solid.

Started prepping the soffit to be enclosed.

·
22,321 Posts
Looking good! Those shingles will last a long time. Wise decision. Those arches will look top notch too.

Thanks for the update.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking good! Those shingles will last a long time. Wise decision. Those arches will look top notch too.

Thanks for the update.
Thanks. Getting there.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was one of the fortunate to have a three day weekend. So I got to put some time into the add on. As I previously mentioned I had a line on some free pavers to use for a floor. I scored them and then did a little butt kissing to get some help from my bud JJ. I've done pavers on some walkways and small patio type stuff but nothing this size. Well, luckily, he hooked me up because if I had done it A) I would have voted for our next president before I finished B) It would have never looked so nice and C) all the tractors I put in there probably would have rolled into one corner. We knocked it out in 2 days. Dug it out, six inches of RCA, sand, compacted, leveled and installed. Cemented the skirt. The guy is really good IMO. Also got a little more carpentry done. Some more pics.

Did the entrance end for my FEL

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Shed is coming along nicely. That floor looks great, you're right about you pal, he really knows what he's doing.

Mike

·
22,321 Posts
That paver job is top notch! It looks great.

Won't be long till it's done and you'll be sitting back with a cold one admiring it. :fing32:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Won't be long till it's done and you'll be sitting back with a cold one admiring it. :fing32:
Oh yeah DJ, when those tractors finally slide in, I'll be tipping back an ice cold diet Pepsi for sure. Gave up the other stuff :thThumbsU. Can't wait to post those pics!

·
Registered
12 Posts
looking like it coming right along,looking good and those paver's are a very nice touch.

·
Registered
833 Posts

Nice JOB tiretrx
- I really like the proportions of the add on / looks real balanced in size, to the main barn
- your paving stone job looks GREAT to

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
Golden Rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rule"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

1986 Toro 824 snowblower, Honda HS624 track drive blower, STIHL 2 stroke F5 85 & F5 35 grass trimmer,
TORO 20526C push mower 21" Recycler w/Suzuki 4 stroke, HONDA CT70 MiniBike & COKE COOLER Chest
1965 Malibu S/S, 1985 Monte Carlo S/S original paint, 1987 Pontiac GTA original paint L98-TPI
1966 Beaumont Custom original paint,
1967 Beaumont Custom, 1967 Beaumont Custom original paint, 1967 Beaumont 396-350HP Sport Deluxe M21-411's
- SOLD 1970 GTO Judge RAIII, original paint, triple black, # match, 4 speed

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
If i ever did a addition for my tractors like that my wife would shoot me.. She has been asking for a pad at the back door like that for five years now.. VERY nice job.. looks well done..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts