My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After weeks of searching Craigslist everyday, I finally found what I was looking for: A Sears Dozer/Snow blade complete with lift kit! For only $200.00!

So why am I all excited about paying $200.00 for a dozer/snow blade?

It came attached to a running 1984 GT18 6/sp complete with a set of tire chains and Carlisle 23 x 10.5 x 12 Ag tires! :tango_face_devil:
All I need now is a set of wheel weights and some snow!
It also came with a new Walmart EverStart battery, oil was just changed and new spark plugs were installed last year. If fired right up and we backed it onto my trailer.

The 18hp Briggs engine runs better than the one on my other 1984 GT18! It is less rusty (except for the foot boards) and the steering is tighter. Seat pan is in good shape but it does need recovering.

Don't plan on doing anything to this one. It will just be for plowing the driveway during the rare times we get a 6" snow here in southern KY and as a yard tug.

Here it is sitting next to my other 1984 GT18...

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
Holy Crud!

You are one "Blessed Gentleman" Iamnofarmer... :-O

CONGRATULATIONS are yours!

-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I could give a bit more information about the 46" Dozer/Snow blade.
Model 486.254021 LHE
Lift Kit is 486.254051

The blade is bent just a bit. Looks like the previous owner ran into something pretty substantial. I plan to remove the blade and use my hydraulic press to see if I can straighten it a bit.
Maybe a coat of paint after a dunk in my de-rust tank. The owner made the release lever for the blade pivot out of stainless steel which is why that part is so shiny.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy Crud!

You are one "Blessed Gentleman" Iamnofarmer... :-O

CONGRATULATIONS are yours!

-Thomas (12)
Port Orchard, Washington

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Don't know about blessed (or being a gentleman) , but I am stubborn! Just kept looking for the right deal to come along...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well for two and a half years this mower has sat in my shed waiting for snow deep enough to plow. I have kept the battery charged, kept the tires aired up, and took it out every month or 3 to run it a bit.
Finally the weather forecasters said measurable snow was on the way!
Well they go it part right... First we got 2.5" of sleet. Then we got 3/8" ice from freezing rain. We lost power during that event. Then 4 days later it finally snowed 5" on top of all that. We lost power again... So with power out (I have a Honda generator that will run the fridge and have a fireplace for heat.) I decided to see what my "new" plow toy would do.
Plow time!
I poured some fresh gas down the carb and into the tank and she fired right up! Being 24 degrees, I let her warm up a few minutes while I moved some other lawn equipment out of the way.
I hopped on, raised the blade, put it in low 1 and eased the clutch out. Now my shed is about 8' deep with a concrete floor and about 4' in there was a large puddle of pure ice.
Now if you look at the pic of the tractor above, you will see this thing has some monster ag style tires in the rear complete with a set of standard chains. The old girl clanked up to the where the front tires were about to hit the mound of sleet/ice and snow at about the same time the rear tires hit the ice.

Suddenly all forward motion stopped! I thought I had broken a belt, or it had come off, but then I realized the rear tires are spinning! I am on totally flat concrete with the front tires trying to go over a small mound of snow and it will not go! With chains! The chains are digging into the puddle of ice tearing it up all the way down to concrete and still no forward motion. I thought the tractor was hung up on something but after getting off and checking there was nothing holding it It just would NOT get traction on the ice. I had to get Baby Orange (Kubota BX2230) out to pull the Craftsman out of the shed. Not a good start...

Once I got out in the snow, the tractor would move forward, but the instant I dropped the blade the tires would spin down to the ice and all forward motion would cease. Again this is on FLAT ground!

OK so everyone is wondering what I have for ballast. The answer is nothing. no liquid ballast in the tires, no wheel weights. No implement on the back. I weigh 180 lbs. I had some 1/2" metal plates that probably weigh 75lbs total and I strapped those to the rear fenders. No improvement.

Now my driveway is gravel, 600 feet long, and steep.

So I figured I would use second gear low, get going down the drive then drop the blade. Gravity and momentum should do the rest. That actually worked! I was able to plow to the bottom of the drive easily. You can barely see in the pic above (taken from my Altima) where I came down the right side of the drive (from the tractors point of view). I pushed the snow across the road into the ditch. Then I tried to backup... It would not back up. So I get off and slide the tractor around so I could go back up the hill frontwards. Nope just sat and spun. Again I had to go get Baby Orange and tow the Craftsman back to the shed. Baby Orange also has no liquid in the tires, no wheel weights, but I did have 240lb of weight on the 3 point and had the loader mounted. It is also 4 wheel drive. It was easily able to tow the Craftsman UP the steep drive...

My personal opinion is the ag tires need to go and be replaced with turf style tires and I need to get a LOT more weight on the rear. Of course it will be three more years before it snows enough to try that out...

·
15,000 +posts!
20,834 Posts
You really need the ballast,and loading the tires with low pressure ,chains,wheel weights with some additional weight piled on the rear hitch plate will make a world of difference..
Just about every riding mower or tractor I've had was practically useless without any ballast in the rear..even with chains..the thing doing the plowing needs to weigh more than what it is pushing or its not going to move..

On glare ice even with ballast it wont be too hard to bring the tractor to a halt..even a one ton pickup with a bed full of sand still feels "too light" on ice,especially if it is a dually,the added floatation distributes the weight across a wider footprint which reduces traction..tall skinny tires work best in snow with chains as a rule,wider tires tend to float on top,you want them to dig in and bite into the snow,not spin..

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had a similar experience, only 180 foot drive on a hill. my GT was able to go down and up pushing snow/ice. The difference is Ag tires with chains, loaded with WW fluid and wheel weights. Weight is defintely needed, better to put it on the wheels rather than on the frame.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I have been looking for a set of reasonably priced wheel weights for over a year. People think they are made of GOLD not steel! I did find a 55lb set up in Ohio today, but that is a three hour drive. They only want $45.00 for the set and it includes all the bolts. Better than the $100.00 they ask for around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts