My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill bring this to the experts..

I picked this little guy up on trade last night. Had a friend that needed a trench filled in, and decided to give me this wheelhorse in payment for a job well done.

I dont think the motor is original, the gas tank is in an odd place for that. Its not in that horrible of condition, runs and drives good with plenty of power. I also have a front blade for it, that i'll pick up when next time i head over.

Anyways, I'm having trouble finding the model and such, and thought yall would know!

Attachments

·
Wheel Horse Junkie!
158 Posts
If I am not mistaken you have an 1958 RJ 58. You are correct...it does not have the original motor.

It looks as though you received a real nice straight machine that would make for a good restoration project.

Looks like a fair trade off to me!

Also the rear tires and rims are bigger than original. Would be the reason the fenders are off of it. Do some checking when you go back over there and see if by any chance he has the original rims and fenders.

·
from South Jersey
601 Posts
Also the rear tires and rims are bigger than original. Would be the reason the fenders are off of it. Do some checking when you go back over there and see if by any chance he has the original rims and fenders.
Fenders were an option on the RJ-58 or 59. It may never have had fenders on it, but be sure to look around. It looks pretty decent and the price was right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the ID....will have to try and find the tag to be sure. I can also take somemore pictures when I get a chance. Any idea what the original motor was? or if its likely i will be able to find one?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The tag if there is on the chassie just behind the left front wheel looking down.
engines were the kohler K90 and K 91 and the clintion all three are out there but cost.
the org, tires on the rear were the silvertowns 6x12. the gas tank was under the hood were you see the hole

·
Registered
590 Posts
From your pictures I can tell the following. 1) The rear wheels (although the rims appear to be original, but I cannot tell for sure), engine and belt guard (on the right side) are not original, 2) The machine had an SPR-42 42" Dozer Blade attached to it at one time (by the presence of the SPR-42 mounting plates bolted at mid-frame), 3) The front tires and rims appear to be original, 4) the seat pan appears to be an early style or could be an early style, but later replacement, 5) The foot rests are correct for the 58/59 model year but were probably a later addition, 6) Other than that you're at a great condition to start a restoration.

Here's more specific information and pictures of a "correct" 1958 RJ-58 as well. They may help you out.

Finished Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phischy/4877118284/in/set-72157624565691219/lightbox/

Information:
http://www.mywheelhorse.com/modules.php?name=Docs2&do=show_doc&id=2

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From your pictures I can tell the following. 1) The rear wheels (although the rims appear to be original, but I cannot tell for sure), engine and belt guard (on the right side) are not original, 2) The machine had an SPR-42 42" Dozer Blade attached to it at one time (by the presence of the SPR-42 mounting plates bolted at mid-frame), 3) The front tires and rims appear to be original, 4) the seat pan appears to be an early style or could be an early style, but later replacement, 5) The foot rests are correct for the 58/59 model year but were probably a later addition, 6) Other than that you're at a great condition to start a restoration.

Here's more specific information and pictures of a "correct" 1958 RJ-58 as well. They may help you out.

Finished Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phischy/4877118284/in/set-72157624565691219/lightbox/

Information:
http://www.mywheelhorse.com/modules.php?name=Docs2&do=show_doc&id=2

Wow!!...thanks!

I just picked up the blade this week, havent taken pics yet. I probably won't do a complete "restore" but plan on cleaning it up, and probably find a different engine. (cant get gas in very well)

I had it running again the other day, motor seems lacking on power (stalls when put in 3rd gear) but doesnt smoke or anything. wonder if i could just move the gas tank to the proper place and still use the motor?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
that as briggs with the gas tank under the carb and no you cant move the gas tank unless you can find a different carb if you look real close you will see three screws that go down though the carb, and into the tank.
good luck

·
Registered
962 Posts
Lot rather have the deere behind it. Whats it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts