My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from picking up my new (to me) Robin 2 stroke powered Snapper.
Seller purchased it new, maintained it regularly, had manuals for both the mower and Robin motor. Extras included a full bottle of synthetic oil, new air filter, and new spark plug.
Very nice shape.
I'll get some pics posted this afternoon after I get some rest. I have not slept in 22 hrs.

What I find amazing is just 2 days ago early on Thursday morning, I knew nothing about Robin 2 stroke motors and read up on them.
I checked craigslist on Thursday afternoon and the 2 closest to me were in Omaha and Bozeman. 450 and 650 miles away.
Checked Friday morning and found this gem, 50 miles away.
This NEVER happens to me !
... and finally, this unit has a BBC.
I didn't even try to haggle on the price. $50.00

... more later
zzzzzzzzzzzz...

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
Yeah I never find the deals either, lucky to find an abused box store wonder.
I keep dreaming of going to a garage sale and finding a cache of brand new Robin 2 stroke engines stacked to the cieling of an old barn for 50 bucks... hehehheheh... well as long as I am going to dream, might as well dream HUGE...

LOL

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have another lead on something even rarer, fingers crossed.

Here's a couple pics of the new Snapper...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Congrats on the Commercial Snapper! It's in nice shape, even still has some gloss in the paint. I've never seen a BBC Snapper before. Enjoy!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow that is in amazing shape! Only $50??? PO could have asked four times that and probably got it. U got a SWEET deal! And BBC too! Those manuals arew worth a pretty penny too. Looks like all it needs is a new cover on the drive handle. I'm guessing the model number is 214X5PR-2??? What is the serial number on the deck...does it start with a 9?? U seriously have a gem.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Only thing odd is the thottle is black. The Snapper 2cycle Robins are usually always red. No big deal, just an observation. I'd get any spare parts for it u can on ebay, can be hard to come by.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing the model number is 214X5PR-2??? What is the serial number on the deck...does it start with a 9?? U seriously have a gem.
Serial # 94352219
Model = 214x4PR-2

The plan is to transplant the motor onto my black commercial Hi-Vac Snapper.

On a side note, check out these snapper restorations...
This guy has way too much time on his hands !
http://www.etigerrr.com/MISC/my_lawnmower_museum1.htm

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why not use it as is? deck shot?
Prefer the wide and stiffer (bracing) handle of the newer one and I need something to do. This will keep me occupied for a few days.
It will give me an excuse to tear it all down and do a complete refurb.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What's rarer than this??????????????
Well, maybe it's not that rare...

Picked up a Green Machine by John Deere with a Robin EH18v motor.
Runs good, Tranny works well.
Certainly not in mint condition (far from it), If I want to fix it up a bit cosmetically,
it needs a new heat shield for the muffler, air cleaner cover, and some black touch up paint in a few areas, but for $30.00 I had to have it.

Same as the one shown in the "Ultimate 21 inch mower" thread.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=272800

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
How do you guys find these deals? 50$...$30...those prices are unheard of for those kinds of mowers around my neck of the woods. More like the times 4 figures Snapperfreak mentioned.

You're so lucky, great finds!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... With the Snapper it was just that I was the first to call. I would have paid more.

...and the Green Machine was listed with no brand names at all, just 6hp self propelled mower. I just happened to click on it and saw the picture and knew what it was.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
:fing32:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Now I want a Snapper!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
wow this is my mowers twin! I got this one last year. Its up for sale now on craigslist. I do like it as the robin is an awesome engine. I'm just partial to my light little lawnboys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts