My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I'll show my lack of electrical knowledge here. I'm an electrical swapper not an understander meaning I can swap out like for like but unless its a battery or alternator I'm generally don't know what it is. So that for lack of a better term is a "switch". There is a piece of label tape on the hood with an arrow that says battery on is how I figured it out. So that hex key turns that switch 90 degrees and it cuts the battery on and off. Obviously the battery wires are wired to it. Not sure if the previous person did that to store it in the winter to keep stuff from being a drain on the battery or what but that's what it is. The rubber hoses are just covering up 4 other potential contacts. Now someone else can probably translate into what it really hopefully with my uneducated description.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,945 Posts
That was a fine description.
As you say PO (Previous Owner) may have added it just as "a good idea" while in storage. Easy way to disconnect the battery rather than unbolt the connector.
Also may have had a small draw on the battery when not running. Could not find it/fix it, so added the switch. If that were the case, I would want to find the problem, if there is a problem, and fix it. You may want to leave the battery connected for a few days while in storage and see if battery drains down.

You will have to keep that switch in mind in the future should you have any electrical problems.

Could look it over and see if there is a brand name and/or model number on it. Might be able to use a search engine to find more info about it.
Were it me, just out of curiosity, I'd use a Volt Ohms Meter to map it out and see what the other connection points were doing. But that's just me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I posted this in a different thread as well but thought maybe the previous pictures of the machine might be helpful

Hey VTX rider (or anyone for that matter) you helped me out when I got my 990 last year. Got it up and running and no problems other than a pulley on the mower deck and a couple belts since then until yesterday. Any idea where I can find an axle assembly? I thought I found a part number in the manual but it looks different to me. It shows a plate (part 15) and lug nuts (part 19) on the wheel. Mine doesn't have the plate or the lugs just one bolt through the center of the wheel. Maybe the assembly would still work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
Is it 1” or 3/4”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
The 1979 manual (model 149-990A) shows the front axles with bearings and bolt on wheels. 1980 to 1984 was a change to the spindle and bushing type wheels. The model number of yours might be 140-990A or someone put newer style spindles on your 79' machine.

I think it is repairable by a good welder. The weld would have to be ground flat so it mates with the cast iron axle surface. Grind out around the inner edge so more weld can penetrate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts

I should have one, I’ll have to dig it out tomorrow, you near Columbus Ohio? Unless you get yours welded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Any idea what these are worth. It’s a cool tractor but I just don’t use it much. Mine has the mower deck and then a plow for the front as well

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
$600 to $800 seems to be the Midwest asking price for what you have.

·
Registered
636 Posts
have a 76 dayton an broke mine same place picked up section of shaft cut the old one on the under side of the plate and welded it back up with new shaft should have taken pic but forgot to

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks VTX. I put it on the for sale section of the forum so if anyone's interested just that's still reading this just let me know.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts