My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone picked up a 990 over the weekend and I'm confused already. Not much of a mechanic but I don't mind trying to learn. According to what I've read on here so far I thought it was 1979 but I see one big discrepancy and that is it seems to be a different motor. Manual shows a 16 hp and mine clearly is an 18 so maybe they came with optional motors or maybe it's been swapped out at one time. I have the manual for the model 149 info. Can't seem to find a manual for the mower (50 inch model 199-992A) or the plow blade (can't find a tag on it). I tried the thread with all the manual links but I just get errors so any help there would be appreciated. I have no idea how to hook up either the mower or the plow.

Women who had the tractor said it hasn't run in 10 years or so is her guess. Looks to be in decent shape. Gas tank is empty so my guess is the carb is to so we'll see about seals being dried out. My thought was to get a new battery and some plugs and see what happens from there.

If I can figure it out I'll post some pictures. I'm trying to drag and attach them but failing miserably.

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,591 Posts
Not much help to you, info wise, but will say that's a fine looking machine, congrats!

·
Another project? Why not!
172 Posts
Nice find! I believe the engine is from 1987, looking at the code you provided.

87 = Year
11 = Month
04 = Day
12 = Whichever Assembly Line or Plant Built it.

I think I am interpreting this right, but if someone else sees an error, please correct me!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to the form. There is a lot of knowledgeable people here ( I am not one of them) who are more than willing to help. If you have not already fallen in love with that machine I bet you soon will. Good to see another Indiana boy on here. Hope you get it up and running soon.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
I'm not much help either, however, that's looks like a great find! I like my ole 990

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your 79' 990 is a good model year. It has the bearing front hubs, heavy rear hubs. The engine has been swapped. If they did a good job, that engine will be excellent. Smoother running than the 16hp.

The hard part about swapping to that engine is if the PTO pulley is in line with the double pulley underneath.

If you are going to plow with it, rear chains are a necessity. Wheel weights also help greatly.

I have several 990s. The manuals you need are attached below.

Recommend you grease the steering box per the manual and also the steering gears right away. This is never done and will save from further wear. Same with all the other grease zerks.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Chuck thanks a million for the manuals. That's a huge help. Especially for parts more than anything. Like I said I'm no mechanic but being a nerd engineer I can generally read a manual and follow along but what I've learned over the years is it sure helps to have someone that's done it for real around to show you the first time. My neighbor at the farm is a diesel mechanic so he's real handy so I plan to leverage him plus we'll probably share this tractor like we do most of our equipment. I'll make sure we get everything greased up well. Not sure if I'll plow with it or not. From a quick read it looks like maybe I can have the mower deck on or the plow but not both but I may be wrong. Most likely I'd use it for mowing. I have a trail system through my property and I thought this might work perfect instead of hooking up the bush hog everytime to the tractor and now the trails are basically just grass since they have been bush hogged and used quite a bit. **** around where we are we haven't even had snow in the last few years but it's not unheard of. If we had a serious snow most likely I'd just jump on the 73 horse Kioti with the loader and use it. My driveways about 3/4 of a mile long and goes up a big hill so between having 4 wheel drive and a lot bigger bucket I think that would be the way to go. Definitely hope it can be a good mower for me though as the terrain is too rough for my zero turn mower and I need a little more clearance with the bumpy terrain.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
The tractor and deck should work great for what you have in mind.

The roller on the mower deck is next to worthless. It bends easily as you can see. I replaced it with 5"x 2" hard caster wheels by modifying the height adjust brackets so the wheel bolts onto them. I can post a picture of the mod if you are interested.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'd love to see it. So I'm correct it's a one or the other with the mower and the plow? Looks like to mount the plow the mounting "beam" bracket goes all the way to the back hitch area which would obviously be going right through where the mower deck is unless somehow there is ample space for the beam to be above the mower but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
The plow sub frame is lifted by the deck carriage. It does not lift the blade very high, maybe 4-5". The mower deck is called a "QD" or quick disconnect. Quick may not be what I would call it. 100lb deck is difficult to horse around.

Did you get the upper center link for the 3pt hitch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't get the upper center link. There's a chance she may still have it. My guess is if it wasn't on the tractor her husband may have kept in "somewhere" in his shop separate and most likely the woman would not even know it went to the tractor. I know my wife wouldn't. Meaning it's obvious about the plow and mower deck. Not so obvious with something like the link. Then again if he only had a mower and plow maybe he didn't have one. I'm guessing you don't need it for those two attachments.

I looked closer at the roller on the mower deck and your right seems pretty flimsy. I'm thinking that would get tore up or at least bent up using it out on my trails. They aren't too bad but it's not a lawn either there are still quite a few bumps and dips out there. I like your idea of using the height adjust brackets and some wheels but I can see where it would take some tweaking. I doubt it's as simple as finding a wheel that fits perfectly onto the bracket and existing holes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just so you know that is one of the only undamaged dash towers I have seen on a 990 or 960:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. Yeah I had a feeling by the guys garage he was pretty meticulous. He had all his tools labels, peg boards and places for everything. Looks like he spent more time keeping his garage clean than he did anything. Nothing wrong with that I guess. I drained the oil and it looked new. So I replaced the oil and oil filter, spark plugs, and air filter. Poured some gas in the carburetor and it fired up. Put gas in the tank and it wouldn't run. Not sure if it's original or not but I don't think it is but if you notice the gas tank on mine is behind the seat. Long story short someone added a fuel pump back there. Pulled off the hose coming out of the fuel pump and you could hear the pump running but just a drip of fuel. Took it off and the spring/float were stuck. Cleaned them up with some carb cleaner and put back on and was working good. Lubed everything up but the deck on which was too bad but yeah Chuck it's a little cumbersome with the weight. Mows good. I was gonna order new blades but I just sharpened these. For doing trails I think it's fine. I can tell it's an old tractor the ergonomics are a little funny and I'm not that big of a guy. I need to figure out a cup holder for my coffee thermos! May put the blade on it for winter or not probably will just to try it although I'm worried about scraping up the drive. Anyone have something they put on the blade to prevent that? I heard a pvc pipe works or heard another guy say he mounted a 2x4 every year. I am missing some parts to be able to use the 3 point. I don't have the upper link or the two connecting rods. Anyway thanks for the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a video but it's a mov file so I can't upload it and I'm not smart enough to know how to convert it to something else if that's even possible.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,039 Posts
Congratulations ! That is one fine looking machine you found.
Hard to imagine you found one that needed so little work to get it up and running.
You have one solid work horse there.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I was told by my x-wife that this will be an El-nino year and expect a snowy and cold winter. She is always right so heed this warning. Make ready your plow!

So pleased your tractor and deck are doing what you want. That horizontal twin engine has to be a pleasure to operate.

The dash is definitely a rare sight. I have one that nice too.

Format Factory will convert your video.

Wondering what the circled device is?

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,039 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts