My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new muffler came in from Jack's Small Engine today and I'm pleased to say it's an exact replacement for the original, and only $58, (currently,) to boot! Part # is 155-0480. Perhaps this can be added to the parts sticky. I expect there's about to be a run on these things, so I ordered a second one tonight. ;) Hope this helps anyone in need of one.

Any thoughts on painting it? Right now it's bare metal. Did gravely paint them at all? I think I'll give painting a try, it certainly won't hurt it.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Cool thanks! Just place a order for two. I won't know what to do with new mufflers on my 816 and 817!!!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
That is cool. Thanks Rick. Now if we could find a replacement heat shield...........

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That is a thing of beauty Rick. Thank you for the information, part number and taking the chance on one so that the rest of us would know. I'm going to order one too.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anytime guys, glad to help! Jacks is probably wondering why they're getting all of these orders in right now, haha.

Rick

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Young Buck
1,611 Posts
Any thoughts on painting it? Right now it's bare metal. Did gravely paint them at all? I think I'll give painting a try, it certainly won't hurt it.

Rick
I know for a fact that VHT Header paint in flat black is good for mufflers and pipes. I used it on my Diesel truck down pipe, and it has been good for 8 months now. I use it on all my heat shields and exhaust now. You can get it at advanced auto.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know for a fact that VHT Header paint in flat black is good for mufflers and pipes. I used it on my Diesel truck down pipe, and it has been good for 8 months now. I use it on all my heat shields and exhaust now. You can get it at advanced auto.
Nice, thanks! If it'll stand up to the header down pipe on a diesel than it'll be fine on this CCKA.

Rick

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Thanks for the info on the header paint. It's on my shopping listy now.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Took the chance on this being right before you confirmed it Rick. Jack's says it shipped since i left home. One should be enough for me. Thanks again for the tip.

Like that paint tip too Ubber_GH. Everybody is looking for the right paint for this!:fing32:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Very nice,,, even has the threaded nipple for the turndown :thanku:

I've had mixed results with the VHT Header paint, stays well on some, burns off on other applications.:hide:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is there anything inside the muffler? Just wondering because my 816 seems kind of loud.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anytime guys, glad it's going to work out for everyone!

It looks like it has a second tube of smaller diameter welded up inside. I'm assuming it probably has some holes in that second tube, but that's about all I can see.

Rick

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks Rick. I also wondered because it looked like the PO had taken it apart because one end cap needed welded back on.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got one of the new mufflers installed today. I ended up painting it with Rustoleum Grill Paint. It has a 1200 degree rating, and I found a lot of Jeep guys used it on their mufflers. I sanded the muffler lightly, wiped it twice with alcohol, then applied two light coats. I let that bake in the sun for an hour, the can says to wait that long before applying heat. Then I installed it and let it cure. I ran the engine at idle for 30 min, cooled for 30, then ran it another 30 minutes at about 1600 rpm. So far I must have done something right because the last time I painted a muffler it came off within minutes of running it. This one looks exactly the same so far. :)

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I saw this and figured someone would say something about a shield. What did the shields originally look like? I haven't looked at my broken one in awhile but I'm assuming its stainless.

I think with some research on what the hole size and spacing you could find the right metal and make new ones. The hardest part of the process would be getting the bends right. Otherwise a few cuts and a few tig welds and you would be in business.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It's easy to find stainless steel perforated sheet. But it's hard to copy the original guard since it was perforated with a border all the way around the edge. Most sheet you will find are a much larger piece so when you cut it to the correct size you will end up with holes all the way to the edge. My 816 original guard just has a small crack in it so it fine for now but the 817 has the original round wire frame style guard and it's busted up so I'll have to make something for it. Jason

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I saw this and figured someone would say something about a shield. What did the shields originally look like? I haven't looked at my broken one in awhile but I'm assuming its stainless.

I think with some research on what the hole size and spacing you could find the right metal and make new ones. The hardest part of the process would be getting the bends right. Otherwise a few cuts and a few tig welds and you would be in business.
My original is in good to fair condition but so many are trashed. Jason's right, the material is out there but there won't be a nice border all the way around.
BTW my original is chrome plated steel, the replacement will be stainless.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
1 - 20 of 103 Posts