My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just picked up an oliver 550 - both my first big tractor (i have a wheelhorse) and my first oliver!

I was not actually looking for an oliver, or a larger machine at all, i was looking for a loader for my 520h wheelhorse and saw this 550 (supposed to be a 1958, haven't actually looked) that had just popped up for sale with a loader for 2000 dollars.

Went and looked at it with a friend that was more tractor savvy than i and it looked good and clean, everything worked and appears to be adjusted well (except the pto, which i read should have a nice firm slap, which it does not, but does engage) so it followed me home!

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trip bucket run off the factory pump - it isn't particularly fast, i think if i end up using the loader often i will probably invest in a front pump. But it goes up and down and picked me up so it seems to be working :-D

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Always wanted a 550, but none to be found around here.--Last one I did see here had front pump and industrial loader on it. They look like good tractors. thanks; sonny

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always wanted a 550, but none to be found around here.--Last one I did see here had front pump and industrial loader on it. They look like good tractors. thanks; sonny
those industrials look real handy.. but i've only ever seen one for sale, and it was DOA and very overpriced.

we don't see a ton of small olivers around here - there are some BIG ones that show up (100+ HP) but for my 10 acres that is mostly wooded, that is way way overkill :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bucket looks to be in decent shape, unless totally rebuilt. It's been used, but not abused.
it is a bit rusty and has some serious "engineering"

it looks like it was originally probably a manure bucket - you can see the cut off tines on the bottom of the bucket housing. but it works fine for scooping and moving random stuff, which is what i'll be using it for mostly.

I may find i want a more serious loader in the future (going to have a lot more driveway and a private road to keep clear in the winter when we move to our new property) but i basically consider the loader free for the price of the tractor (the next nearest priced oliver 55 was 4500 and in MUCH rougher condition - and i've seen a limited history of them selling for a lot more than i would be willing to pay for the condition)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts