My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Deere convert here. Hello, my name is Mike, and I'm addicted. :trink40:

My "brother" has been a Deere man for YEARS. He does landscaping and snow removal in Hellertown, PA. So I've had alot of time with his machines (mostly the 445 and the 2320 (with FEL and bucket). I've been using my grandfather's old '65 Gilson and though I love it, it is getting harder to deal with and parts are just not available.

So at the beginning of the year (after fighting with the Gilson all winter), I started looking at Deere's. I decided on the 318 because I don't need a 4XX series, and frankly, they were outside my price range anyway. Honestly, a fully configured 318 was too, but what can you do? :banghead3

After months of looking for one at the right price in the right condition, Noah found one for me, an '86. A little rough - some rust on the seat pan, no grill, beat up hood, missing some hood supports, a ripped seat, and covered in yuck, BUT only 800 hours. $750. He shot me a pic and I said I wanted it! It turns out that my phone decided to delete that "old" message, so I do not have the original picture, which grinds my goat. Hopefully Noah has it stored on his phone somewhere still.

Anyway, I started to amass parts from ebay while his father-in-law (retired and bored) took things apart, cleaned it up, sanded the rust and painted things up. The side covers look new, but the seat pan still needs more work. The hood is brand new, but was in storage, and has two small marks on the left top edge from something metallic dropping on it. I'll get those fixed soon enough. Brand new grill and emblem, and the rest of the stuff used. Spent some money to get the fluids and filters, and we changed that all out Friday night after driving down there to pick it up.

So far, I'm $1250 into the tractor, half of what they are going for around here in the original shape that this one was in!

Still need a seat and the throttle lever cover. Also need to find a blower for the winter, so I've started to search for that.

Since everyone wants pix, here it sits after the first cut of the "field" (I had not mowed in over a month since the Gilson is down due to massive BP, er, oil, leaks). I did a clean up cut at 2.5" last night and the yard looks really nice. Better than the Gilson ever made it (since I cannot get the proper blades or anything even close).

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
Nice looking Deere!
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Super Moderator
35,868 Posts
First welcome to the forum and congratulations on selecting the "holy grail" of Garden Tractors!!! I've attached the express mailer so that KATT would not go after you for the missing parts identified above!!! (an inside joke, you'll understand pretty soon!)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
:MTF_wel: enjoy the 318 I'm sure it will serve you well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I already have the emblem and nuts, but not the backing plate. I presume there is a backing plate as there appears to be a place for it to go and I presume that it is more than the nuts that hold it on.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Thanks all, I already have the emblem and nuts, but not the backing plate. I presume there is a backing plate as there appears to be a place for it to go and I presume that it is more than the nuts that hold it on.
No backing plate is shown on the IPB at the JD parts site. The PO of mine apparently broke the studs, then drilled them out and use small nylon ties (don't tell Katt I don't have a pair of you-no-whats).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice tractor. Looks like its new!

And I'll ask too, where in CT?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Welcome! And hold on to your wallet, these things ARE addicting.

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Welcome to the forum :Welcome1: and congrats on your new addition! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I honestly never even thought to try without a strap.

I'm in Durham, just south of Middletown. It's nice how we can go from city life to farm life in just a few miles. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Mike,

Metrotool here in Wallingford had a large stock of new Deere yellow seats for sale. Call them to see if they still have them in stock.

Joe

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I've had the tractor less than two weeks and love it. It seems my lawn also loves it. I set the cutting height to 2.5" and mowed Saturday morning. Last night (Tuesday) I was walking around in the yard and it needs to be cut already! That's 4 days, and it looks all shaggy and unkempt. I used to be able to go a week between mowing.

The wife says I only think that it needs to be mowed so I can play with my new toy. I told her that wasn't it at all, :lalala: and that the grass looks like I do when I need a haircut. :thSick:

The other day, the neighbor even commented that it sounded good. He has one of the newer ones, and so we had talked about me looking for an older one a few months back.

Love this machine. :greendr:

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts