My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2520 came with engine break in oil. Dealer told me to change it at 20 hours and put in break in oil again and leave that until 100 hours and then change to regular oil. Dealer said they have had the best luck doing it this way as there is no way the rings will be seated properly at only 20 hours. So, I had the dealer drop off a gallon of break in oil and a new filter. Now at 23 hours and getting ready to change the oil.

John Deere manual says to just change the engine oil the first time at 50 hours and DO NOT use break in oil.

What do you guys think?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
New 2520 came with engine break in oil. Dealer told me to change it at 20 hours and put in break in oil again and leave that until 100 hours and then change to regular oil. Dealer said they have had the best luck doing it this way as there is no way the rings will be seated properly at only 20 hours. So, I had the dealer drop off a gallon of break in oil and a new filter. Now at 23 hours and getting ready to change the oil.

John Deere manual says to just change the engine oil the first time at 50 hours and DO NOT use break in oil.

What do you guys think?
Thats what I was told by my dealer which I did and now at 411 hours it runs like a dream and doesn't use any oil. slkpk

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I was told by my dealer which I did and now at 411 hours it runs like a dream and doesn't use any oil. slkpk
What were you told by the dealer? Your not very clear. Use the break in oil and change to it again at 20 hours or follow the manual?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Man,ten dealers ten different answers.
I was going to put break-in again at 50 hours (44 now). My dealer asked why. I told him from reading on here what dealers told other owners. He said 50 hours is plenty for break-in oil. No need to go any further with it.:banghead3
I also asked about synthetic. He said as long as it is still under warranty,not to deviate from what JD recommends.......makes sense.

Greg

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
+1

Joe

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
What were you told by the dealer? Your not very clear. Use the break in oil and change to it again at 20 hours or follow the manual?
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
SwiftDeere, I was told to change break in oil at 50 hours. I make it a point to change the oil every 50 hours just for my piece of mine.:fing32:

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I may take some heat on this, engine break-in has pretty much gone the way of the need to de-carbon engines. With modern machining and honing processes, break-in is almost instantaneous. The only reason it's required on some new vehicles is to allow other driveline parts to wear in before being subjected to full load. IMO, what passes for "break-in" oil is the first oil that was installed in a brand new engine. Even some high-end cars come from the factory with an initial fill of synthetic oil.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I changed the breakin oil at around 20 hours and used breakin oil until it had 100 hours on it then switched to the Plus 50. slkpk

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed the oil and filter today at 26 hours and put the JD 10W-30 break in oil back in. Will run that to 100 hours and then change to the regular JD 10W-30.

The post above regarding not needing to break in a modern day machine, I will agree with regarding gasoline cars/trucks, but not a diesel engine. He is right in that most of the breakin on modern motor vehicles has to do with all the other moving parts other than the engine, but those engines are machined on a much larger scale with better equipment. Check out the breakin procedure on a diesel truck, it is not the same as a standard gasoline engine equiped vehicle.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I changed the breakin oil at around 20 hours and used breakin oil until it had 100 hours on it then switched to the Plus 50. slkpk
This what I'm doing as well. First change around 20 hrs then I'll change again at 100. I'm at 70 now. Thinking of going to JD Plus 50 5-40 synthetic. Anyone using this oil? It has the best temp range.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey Joe,
I asked my dealer about switching to synthetic after my 50 hour change. He told me if your tractor is still under warranty,not to deviate from what Deere recommends,or your warranty will be void. After my warranty is up I will be switching to synthetic.:)

Greg

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
A lot of dealers are recommending extended periods with break in oil. It seems that these tractors are intended to be used much harder during the break in period than they are being used and a number of dealers are recommending either using the break in oil for a longer time than the manual recommends, or (to me better) changing the oil earlier but sticking with break in oil. :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Someone sell me on having to use break-in oil passed the 50 hour mark.:banghead3

Greg

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hey Joe,
I asked my dealer about switching to synthetic after my 50 hour change. He told me if your tractor is still under warranty,not to deviate from what Deere recommends,or your warranty will be void. After my warranty is up I will be switching to synthetic.:)

Greg
This is what I do with every thing diesel I own, including the car although VW diesel's come from the factory with synthetic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts