My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a nice !6-g with a stuck pto clutch. I have cut with it and it cuts awesome. There is no resistance anywhere on the PTO in/out lever. I ran into some grass taller than the mower in and attempt to break something free. That didn't work and something slipped as the grass coming out the chute slowed right down and the whine of the gearbox stopped, Actually I am not sure it is the gearbox. I suppose it could be a deck bearing.

I have read that a significant whine from the gear box is normal.

The machine had been in storage but the previous owner had started using it this spring with the clutch stuck engaged.

Any ideas, help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to get this fixed right if possible. thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Are you sure the lever is attached to the clutch mechanism? There's also a roll pin back there i think. It could be broken or gone

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Sounds like the PTO clutch is worn out, AND, the PTO linkage is damaged in the trans.

This repair requires opening up the transmission. If you are comfortable inside a manual automobile transmission, you can this. If not find someone local who knows this job.

Sheldon

·
Registered
110 Posts
Trying to find someone, anyone, even a gravely dealer, to work on one of these old gravely mowers is dang near next to impossible. Which is why I’ve had to learn to do all I can to keep my SO’s ‘91 Commercial 8 running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Oh fun next is parts. lol, I should be ok inside the transmission. Watched a video. I like cutting with this and I have a line on a snow blower

1 - 8 of 8 Posts