My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a new toy, 1256 03. Most of ya'll have probably read the other thread (going to look at 1256, need info) and know that this one is blowing headgaskets every 2 hrs and has a suspect hydro (weakening after warming). I have just get a chance to mess with it, I ran all the gas out of it Probably about a half hour just cruising that back yard and it pulled the whole way. Every so often I would pull the cap on the hydro tank and stick my finger in it and it was cool to the touch. Also when it ran out of gas I put my hand on the hydro and it was cool to the touch. The only load was my 240lbs and every couple of laps I would ease up to a log and see if it would push/ climb it (it would). The hydro did run quite a bit quieter at the end of the run. I know this isn't much af a test, but I am more hopeful now.
He went from watered down type A to type F when he did the swap, and mentioned the hoses on the doner didn't look good.

On the headgasket issue, The started right up this morning, not rope start quick but close. The flywheel screen was pretty restricted. I can feel quite a bit of air in the area above the muffler. I am guessing running it like this is not good cause it is also sucking in dirty air there. I have never put a wrench on a Wisconsin, looks pretty straight foward. Any tricks I should know about? The PO said that it seemed the headbolts were loosening up. He would torque em properly then mow grass, then check em again before next mow to find them looser, any thoughts?

Thanks for reading Don.

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
You need to do is get NEW head bolts. The old ones are stretched as far as the will go. That's why they aren't holding.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the new head bolts; When I look em up they are listed as special hardness 5/16x18... ect. then when I put in the part numbers they come back as grade 8 bolts. I can get grade 8's here sold buy the pound, and the sizes seem pretty common. Can I just buy the bolts locally? It has some pretty old looking nothing special grade 5's in it now.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Grade 8 bolts should be fine. I replace head bolts with new grade 8 if I change a head gasket.

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts