My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that there are to many "safety" features on newer tractors . But really they all serve a purpose . The thing is , to many people rely on them and forget that the first line of safety sits between your ears .

Last night I decided to load up my FILs "new" tractor and bring it out to him . figured I'd take a few mowing passes with it first to be sure it was going to be fine . Just as I was heading to the truck with it I noticed a spark coming from under the front by the deck . Put the brake on and disengaged the blades . Got off to check it out and my foot slipped under the deck .

Well , needless to say , the deck DIDN"T fully disengage . Felt the blade hit my foot and pulled it back as fast as possible . And this is what happened .

I was VERY lucky . Pulled the boot off and no damage to my foot other than it haveing a little red mark . could have been a lot worse .

Normally I shut down my machines if I'm getting off of them , but had a "duh" moment .

I guess the moral is , never trust the safety features on your machines . Like anything else mechanical , they can fail .

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
THAT was a close call.

I got my thumbnail snipped by a running Mott hammer knife mower once. I was trying to drag one of the mowers away from a tree, and my thumb came in contact with one of the hammers. I was very lucky too.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Man I am glad you were lucky. It could have been a lot worse.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Glad you are OK. That was a close one.

Was it that the deck didn't disengage or was it that the blades were still spinning fromt he momentum?

It didn't take the blade brakes on my Husquvarna long to wear out so that the blades take a minute to stop spinning?

Just curious.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what happened . Had disengaged the deck 1/2 minute or so before I got off . Thing is , on that machine they don't actually disengage . there are little "brakes" that keep the blades from spinning .

·
Junk Collector
420 Posts
It didn't take the blade brakes on my Husquvarna long to wear out so that the blades take a minute to stop spinning?

Just curious.
I have an older Craftsman that does the same thing...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm glad you are ok, you got lucky.

My safest machines imho are my Gravelys. Why? Because there ARE NO SAFETYS! You need to pay attention to what you are doing at ALL TIMES! Plus the decks are out front. No where near my feet.

My feeling is the safetys on todays equiptment make us lazy. Rely on the safetys if you will. No I'm not saying remove your safetys. But run your equiptment like it didn't have any.

Again, very glad you are ok, and I'm sure you won't do that again.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,570 Posts
Not sure what happened . Had disengaged the deck 1/2 minute or so before I got off . Thing is , on that machine they don't actually disengage . there are little "brakes" that keep the blades from spinning .

That was scarey! Glad you didn't get hurt.

Could you expand on this a little? What kind/model machine? Manual PTO or electric? Was power still getting to the blades or was it simply a case of the blades not slowing down fast enough? How are those "brakes" designed to work? Is there a fix that you can think of?

One thing is certain: You were wearing something to protect you...I've seen lots of people mowing with flip-flops on!! :Stop:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was scarey! Glad you didn't get hurt.

Could you expand on this a little? What kind/model machine? Manual PTO or electric? Was power still getting to the blades or was it simply a case of the blades not slowing down fast enough? How are those "brakes" designed to work? Is there a fix that you can think of?

One thing is certain: You were wearing something to protect you...I've seen lots of people mowing with flip-flops on!! :Stop:
Agway Turf Pro .

Ok here's how it works . The belt for the deck goes directly from a pulley on the engine to the spindles . As the deck is raised it provides a little slack . When the deck is fully raised (disengaged) there are 2 contact points that rest on the outer spindle pulleys . They are suppose to create enough friction , along with less belt tension , in order to stop the blades from turning.

Why they were still turning , I don't know .

·
Registered
859 Posts
What I do is set the deck to the lowest position possible before I get off. Most if not all of my decks can go all the way to the ground. That way nothing can slip or crawl underneath, especially if its going to sit for a while.

Steel toed boots are a must around my Dynamark. No safetys, not even a clutch safety. (previous owner bypassed it) The deck is getting repaired now cause the blade brakes were literally non-existent and the blades would spin even when the deck was disengaged.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,424 Posts
If you cant get the right brake lining material for the blade brakes,I tried using some peices of old steel belted radial tires as a substitute on a few decks and it seemed to work well,not sure how long they'll last though..anything is better nothing,and having those blades spinning,when the are not supposed to be..

Speaking of safety,I saw a nice looking blonde lady blowing snow one day last winter with an old IHC Cub & and snowblower,and I cringed when I drove by--and saw her SCARF blowing in the breeze like a flag!..that thing could have wounded or killed her quick,had it got caught in the pulley or belts!..
I was tempted to stop and scold her,but I didn't..

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Nice idea on the old tires for brakes. That's a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Glad your alright.... ya must have dropped a present in your shorts for sure.:sidelaugh :sidelaugh

A little off topic... but here it is.. I used to always use a push mower or whipper snipper while wearing just sneakers..... I got a way with this unsafe act for years... and not a thought about it... untill one day the push mower picked up a 2' rock and belted it straight back into my toe... OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TALK ABOUT PAIN Dropped me to the ground almost ... after the usual profanity I was able to make it indoors and checked out my foot... it wasn't broken.... grabbed a cold beer and walked with a considerable limp for a week................ Lesson learned... whenever I do any work .... Construction or around the House.. I wear alll my Personal Protetective Equipment... It only takes once....

Oh and I wear pants , shirt too...... Not just sneakers.....:sidelaugh

·
Fire Marshal Bill
79 Posts
BOOTS, steel toe boots any time running the tractor or doing any work that involves more than a screwdriver. I never mow the lawn with out 'em. Working in the yard one day I had to take an axe to some small branches so I went in and put on my boots and came back out. Now I've chopped a lot of wood over the years and never hit anything vital but sure as shootin' the 3rd stroke the axe head glanced of a small log and whacked my left foot right in the side of the instep. Took off the boot and the axe had cut cleanly throught the leather boot and part of my sock but left me with nothing more than a red mark on my foot. Now if I'd been lazy and left my sneakers on I be know as known as ol' clubfoot bill right now.

·
The Link King
1,056 Posts
Just went out and fiexed the blade brakes on the mower after i read this. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
" the push mower picked up a 2' rock and belted it straight back into my toe... "

That had to have been a monster push mower to pick up a 2 foot rock !!!!!!

LOL!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts