My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homelite chainasw skillsaw factory made...
Gotta be rair... I bought it today at an Amish auction...

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Kevin,
I have seen a few of them before, the guy in Allentown that had that huge collection had a couple of them in the collection. They are a great idea though.

Dan

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Someone here has a working one just like it ..

I have seen them plenty of times over the years ..

They were made in the 70's and 80's I believe

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Wow, first one I've seen.

Cool!

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
First time I've seen one should be quite handy! Thanks for posting!:fing32:

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Well slap my butt Sally, what will they think of next. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
818 Posts
Great for the Amish as they do not use electric, but I guess they do use gas motor. I have seen them pulling a brush hog with a team of horses with a gas motor running the blade. I admire then for their conviction and the way they stick to it BUT! don't understand all I know about it

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Right after WWll I went to a barn raising with my dad and grandfather. Grand dad was the master carpenter on the job and it was a timber-built structure using big wood pins to hold the frame together.

Someone brought a gas engine saw that had a blade like an old crosscut saw that ran in a bar, slotted somewhat like a chain saw. That thing was war surplus, designed to be used by two men with handles on the motor and bar ends and made short work of cutting those big timbers. It was not usable for cutting the intricate joints needed but was good for cutting lengths. The cutting bar could be rotated to allow angle and horizontal cuts while the 4 cycle engine remained upright.

Later Western Auto had a similar saw under the Wizard brand but it was much lighter in weight and a two cycle. Later they came out with a circular saw much like Kevin's find. Neither of the Wizard's seemed to sell very well, at least in this area. When the electricity became available on the farms the saws of this type disappeared for the most part.

Haven't seen one like that pictured but the concept has been around for awhile.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts