My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in the last few months I have seen around town 3 or 4 different cars with custom painting of the body or just the wheels. One car that drives by work every day is a neon pink color. Another car I see on my way to work looks to be factory white but the 5 spoke wheels are a neon green along with the Chevy emblem is the same color. Did a new neon paint just hit the market?

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Neon paint has been around for a while, companies like House of Kolor sell obnoxious shades of neon. I think what you're seeing is the new plasti dip fad. People are buying that garbage by the gallon in every color imaginable and coating their cars and wheels with it. Cheap, easy to apply and peels right off. Looks like total crap IMO but you can cover an entire vehicle for pocket change. Far cheaper than even a wrap and anyone can do it. I suppose the plus is that when you get bored of the color, just peel it off and start over.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Plasti-Dip has lots of uses. For example it's an excellent way to protect your original paint if you drive your expensive vehicle. It actually is amazing what you can do to rims with Plasti-Dip there are now metalizers, peralizers and clear coats (all of which "peel" right off).

I am probably plasti-dipping the rims on my Challenger in bronze because I am curious to see how it will look, since I've been kicking around buying bronze wheels.

·
2,641 Posts
Plasti-Dip has lots of uses. For example it's an excellent way to protect your original paint if you drive your expensive vehicle. It actually is amazing what you can do to rims with Plasti-Dip there are now metalizers, peralizers and clear coats (all of which "peel" right off).

I am probably plasti-dipping the rims on my Challenger in bronze because I am curious to see how it will look, since I've been kicking around buying bronze wheels.
Yea there is certainly a ton of things you can do with it. I've used it myself for protecting the rear quarters on a few drag cars. I just don't get coating your entire car in it, it's not a paint job and its more ghetto than a vehicle wrap IMO. Doing things like the jambs, trunk and engine bay isn't practical since its not made to last so the best you could end up with finish wise is something that looks like a Maaco knock off. Bright orange car, dirty white jambs, not very classy. Its a good way to make an otherwise nice car look like poop. Things like rims, front lips and things that may get damaged make sense to coat temporarily, especially under harsh conditions. I'll never understand using it for anything else though.

I'm all for the protection part of it but we all make fun of people who rattle can their cars and get paint jobs from places like Earl Scheib and Maaco, how is shooting an entire car in a media that's not designed for auto finishing any different? Not to say it doesn't have its advantages and uses but I've seen a Porsche GT3 coated in that crap, really? A six figure car with a hundred dollar color change. Falls in the wrap category for me, just another dumb fad to avoid paying what it costs to do things right.

·
6,553 Posts
Wraps are radically different though, a good wrap is NOT cheap, 6-7K to wrap a car right (including jambs) and you can always "go back" not something that can be done with paint.

I'm not for painting entire cars with dip either, but a few guys on the Challenger forums will spray the whole front of the car if they are going on a trip, and when they get to the show, rip it off. I like that idea (except for the fact that the car looks like crap till it's removed).

It's perfect for rims though, so easy to swap colors on rims.

·
2,641 Posts
Wraps are radically different though, a good wrap is NOT cheap, 6-7K to wrap a car right (including jambs) and you can always "go back" not something that can be done with paint.

I'm not for painting entire cars with dip either, but a few guys on the Challenger forums will spray the whole front of the car if they are going on a trip, and when they get to the show, rip it off. I like that idea (except for the fact that the car looks like crap till it's removed).

It's perfect for rims though, so easy to swap colors on rims.
True, wraps can get up there in price. The freedom of design on them is endless, no matter how you slice it though, its still just a vinyl sticker. Great for businesses and such to make their vehicles stand out so I see why its catching on. I just think it looks cheesy on high end cars that are meant to be show queens.

I haven't had the experience of doing a set of rims in plasti dip, how does it hold up to heat and brake dust?

·
6,553 Posts
Dustin,

I haven't done any myself either, but from everything I've read and watched it holds up no problem. The nice thing is now with the metalizers and pearlizers being offered you really can do some interesting finishes. Still not on par with doing it the right way.. But to test the waters or protect something, not a bad idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts