My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My neighbor has this Montgomery Ward with attachments that has been sitting.

Anyone have some info on it?

There is also a disk that I forgot to get a pic of.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Great tractors. I just sold one so I could out my Case 224 back together. If you get the model and serial no off of the plate on the side of the dash tower, you can email Toro and they will send you a manual and parts list. Lawnboy consumed Gilson (who made the tractor) and then Toro consumed Lawnboy. Looks to be about a 71-74 model. 16 horse single briggs and parts are still available for them. Great little workhorse. This one is what they call an "S frame tractor" due to how the frame rises in the center..

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Those tractors are beasts. The green Wards almost looks military.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I just got a very similar tractor, but with hydraulic lift. I really like it. Did you get this one?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice tractor.

I would love to have that Tiller and Blower for on Mine.
Mine had the 16hp Twin briggs in that Blew a rod.Now it has an 18hp twin briggs.Hydro with power lift and Hi/Lo range.

This is the 3rd one I've had.1st 2 were 16 hp briggs single cylinder hydro tractors.They were identical twins to each other.
Both had busted frames just behind the engine.That cast iron 16 hp briggs is a torque monster.At Idle you could watch the frame twist.

This New to me Wards/Gilson 16 hydro is a beast.Very powerful and the newer 18 Twin is super smooth running.

Can I request that someone make a Gilson/Wards Sub-Forum?

Alot of People have these tractors and some need helpful intervention.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Nice tractor.

I would love to have that Tiller and Blower for on Mine.
Mine had the 16hp Twin briggs in that Blew a rod.Now it has an 18hp twin briggs.Hydro with power lift and Hi/Lo range.

This is the 3rd one I've had.1st 2 were 16 hp briggs single cylinder hydro tractors.They were identical twins to each other.
Both had busted frames just behind the engine.That cast iron 16 hp briggs is a torque monster.At Idle you could watch the frame twist.

This New to me Wards/Gilson 16 hydro is a beast.Very powerful and the newer 18 Twin is super smooth running.

Can I request that someone make a Gilson/Wards Sub-Forum?

Alot of People have these tractors and some need helpful intervention
I second that motion!

These are my gilsons, 1 running and 1, well...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Montgomery Ward variable speed 16 was made in 1973 as far as I can tell.
The 74 model had the full sized rear fenders.

The Variable Speed 15 was in late 71 early 72.
According to the date code on the 15hp Briggs I took out of my rusted up parts tractor.

Sorry it took so long I had to dig up the engine tin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts