My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a hydro-drive tractor worth restoring if it needs an ignition but is mechanically sound? It is being sold with the tiller, snow caster, and deck

The Bolens I am considering needs an ignition, solenoid, and battery. :(
It is mechanically sound and the engine has compression.

1)The small engine shop did not know new solid state units were available. I know from this forum that new units ignitions are available online, $132 for various models.

2) Is a starter solenoid available?

3) Is the battery an unusual size, or will a car battery fit?

The small engine repair shop seemed to think it was an unusually sized battery and very costly, but the battery tray looks large.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Depending on model and price, it certainly sounds worth it. Of course, you are taking the risk that after fixing the ignition, the tractor still won't work properly. On the other hand, you could part it out and get your money back several times over if you buy it right.

The solenoid is no big deal, and standard car betteries are fine.

Doug

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good. I'll go for it.

I'm able with mechanical and fluid items, so except for the solid state ignition there is nothing unusual to me.

More info after this memorial weekend.

-Doug

·
Registered
380 Posts
TSC carries many different solenoids. My G14 had a Ford solenoid on it. The battery I just bought is a standard Lawn and Garden Battery 230cca turns it over just fine.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
A new magnetron coil is closer to $40 -- unless you're describing a solid state module that works with points.

Any auto parts store can hook you up with a starter solenoid like blackwolf's Ford solenoid for around $8 or you can get a Briggs solenoid for about $14 at stores that sell lawnmower parts. Very simple devices, really.

·
Parts Robber
171 Posts
Since you didn't post model or engine info it's hard to give any advice . Since you bring up the solid state I'm guessing it is a Tecumseh engine. they did have different types of modules and not all of the solid state modules are still available.

The battery and solenoid are really minor issues.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well my first question is what do they want to get out of it and the next question is what do you want it to do. This sounds rather simple and obvious, but different strokes for different folks. By the sounds of your questioning the tractor does not have a charge, does not turn over and does not have a spark. It is a hydrostatic drive, tiller, snow caster, and deck. I will go with a wild card diagnosis and say the unit has a bad ground. I rather doubt all of the electronic components failed at once. Now what do you expect out of this thing, if you want this for yourself then do you want to use it for its intended uses? How good are you with tools? This may be a great bargain and then again it could be a disappointment. We need more information from you to understand what you are really asking.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been a little while since the first post and I did gather enough info to decide to get it, thank you all for helping the decision.

I picked up the attachments on the first trip and I'll get the tractor itself on another run.
Well my first question is what do they want to get out of it and the next question is what do you want it to do. ...We need more information from you to understand what you are really asking.
Excellent question. I intend to use it for its intended purpose - tilling, snow removal, and grass cutting.

- bad ground -Thanks, I did not consider something so simple. Now I will test the whole ignition situation before swapping out parts. It is an H14 (HT14?) hydrostatic drive, tube frame, with a Tecumseh 14 hp OHV. More details later.

-Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts