My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took apart my 1964 Gravely L-8 to begin a full restoration and discovered that a chunk of the jug was taken out were the circular part slides into the bottom end with a nice long crack continuing out from it. If anyone has a 1960's Gravely 6.6 jug with valves any where from STD to .020 over-bored I would be interested in buying it.

Thanks

P.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I recently took apart my 1964 Gravely L-8 to begin a full restoration and discovered that a chunk of the jug was taken out were the circular part slides into the bottom end with a nice long crack continuing out from it. If anyone has a 1960's Gravely 6.6 jug with valves any where from STD to .020 over-bored I would be interested in buying it.

Thanks

P.
You can also use the improved jugs from the 7.6.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here is a question I have been wondering about for a while, what changes led to the 1HP increase from the 6.6 to the 7.6 besides the different head? Was it cams, etc or porting and valve stem/seat size in the cylinder part itself?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Yep, all three things mentioned above were what I found in my research regarding the hp upgrade. The venturi size increase allowed better flow (and higher hp) at higher rpm, but negatively affected the low end torque when compared to a 6.6. Some day I'll do a dynamometer run on the two different engines, and then put the smaller venturi carb on the 7.6. I'm hoping it will put out slightly more low-end torque than a 6.6.

A 7.6 jug would be slightly stronger and have a larger head gasket mating surface. There are plenty of jugs out there, but you may have to get one rebored.

·
Registered
543 Posts
When I was a kid we had a 1939 Alice Chalmers WC. We used it every day on the farm. I saw wjohn's signature and saw that he has a 39 AC B. That's why I mentioned it in this thread.

John

Yep, all three things mentioned above were what I found in my research regarding the hp upgrade. The venturi size increase allowed better flow (and higher hp) at higher rpm, but negatively affected the low end torque when compared to a 6.6. Some day I'll do a dynamometer run on the two different engines, and then put the smaller venturi carb on the 7.6. I'm hoping it will put out slightly more low-end torque than a 6.6.

A 7.6 jug would be slightly stronger and have a larger head gasket mating surface. There are plenty of jugs out there, but you may have to get one rebored.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I have a '39 and also a '40 B now... need to update my signature. The '39 runs and the '40 is stuck; neither look pretty. Hand lift plow and cultivators for them and I'm getting a sickle bar mower soon. Dad has a '52 WD that we mostly use for bush hogging the pasture and the loader is handy too. Sometimes Gravelys aren't quite big enough :sorry1:

A WC would be neat to fix up. I found one in a fence row about a mile from home but I've never asked the owner about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts