My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Hard to say from pictures how much has been done to it. What exactly are you looking for? A show queen or just a nice running working 110? You should check out http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/ and maybe post a wanted ad there are plenty of 110s out there especially SFs for less than $800. Good luck with whatever you decide :fing32:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not looking for a show queen, just another tractor to tinker on and use on the property.

·
Super Moderator
16,325 Posts
Well I bought a 1969 112 in 2007 for $250.00 and in 2005 I bought a 1974 140H3 for $1,000 on Ebay. I've put at least $1,800into the 140H3 since then most of that $1,800 was for a cat 0 3point hitch,Integral hitch,54inch dozer blade and some engine work and probaly $400 in the 112. So $800 isn't so Bad if it's running as good as it looks. It looks like all it need is the Grip for the top of the Variator lever.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had my JD LX145 V twin liquid cooled tractor for almsot 15 years if I remember correctly, for sure at least 10.

I sold it on eBay for $1,300. Ran great right up to the day the guy that bought it showed up and paid for it. I miss my 1st JD but that is the way it goes. I think if you buy the used one you are looking at you should do well. Good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you are just getting into the John Deere garden tractor market then the 800.00 asking price may seem a bit high. However if that the mechanical shape of that tractor is as good as the exterior looks to be then I would think it is well worth it. It has new tires and although they are only turf tires they would probably cost upwards of 200.00 and maybe a little more. It looks to have a good headlight bezel so that's worth another 2-250.00 if you were to buy a complete one on the big auction site.
I would at least go take a look at it and check it out real well. Make sure that all the gears work and try the variator out while the tractor is moving under power(not setting still) as if you move it around with no motion they have a tendency to get all out of whack sometimes,it will have about 6 positions and will change the ground speed with each range giving you roughly a 24 speed transmission.
You can always make an offer and go from there. I would offer at least 5-600 to start with as that way you are not going to insult the seller. These models of the 110 are about bulletproof if they were at least half taken care of, and where else can you find a tractor that is over 35 years old that will out perform and still outlast any of the big box store offerings?
The answer to that one is that you cant...
Let us know if you get it and if you have more questions about it,fire away..

Greg in Ky.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love this site! ...I feel even better about owning my 68 110 every time you guys talk about them...if that were possible.

I would say buy it(as long as the inside is as good as the outside looks). Offer a little less, as it is rare to have to pay asking price for anything. My 110 looks to be in similar condition and I wouldn't let it go for double that price. I've worked mine hard and it never lets me down. The attention it draws is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, this will not be my first Green machine. I own a 317, tore it down last winter, twice! I picked up a fourway blade for it on that site for 150. It also has the 33 tiller with extensions on either side. Im deciding if I want to invest into the 317 mower deck I have or just go ahead and pick up this 110. I have yet to talk to him, Im talking first with the wife. BUT I hope to decide by this weekend. I will offer 500 and see what he thinks. It looks good outside, but im still waiting to hear back if the engine has been touched or not.

Thanks guys!:thanku:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks guys, this will not be my first Green machine. I own a 317, tore it down last winter, twice! I picked up a fourway blade for it on that site for 150. It also has the 33 tiller with extensions on either side. Im deciding if I want to invest into the 317 mower deck I have or just go ahead and pick up this 110. I have yet to talk to him, Im talking first with the wife. BUT I hope to decide by this weekend. I will offer 500 and see what he thinks. It looks good outside, but im still waiting to hear back if the engine has been touched or not.

Thanks guys!:thanku:
Well since you already have a 317 then you know the quality of John Deere tractors. I had a 317 back in 1981 and it was a great tractor in its day. At that time its all I could afford as the 400 which I really wanted BAD was almost twice the price if I remember right, but then again it would have been twice the tractor as well.
Even in today's market these old deeres still have good resale values as the older ones were built to last and I think the younger generation is starting to figure that out which is a good thing.
I would love to go out and buy one of the new X700's but I just cant seem to want to put that much money in a garden tractor when for the same oney I can fully restore the ones that I so have.
500.00 would be a good starting point for the 110 and if you get it for that you can afford to do a little work on it if you had to and still come out alright.
I will warn you though that if you do buy it you do know that with two deere usually comes a third and so forth.
My last one was a 318 with a fairly new Onan in it that I picked up for 650.00
the deck is shot but overall the tractor is in very good condition and with getting a good price on it I can afford to buy a few more toys to go along with it. Best of luck on you purchase and let us know if you get it.

Greg in Ky..:greendr:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts