My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago the symptoms of my Huskee tractor. Following a series of tests it looks like my starter is bad. How do I remove it?

Husked Tractor 18.0 42" 13AP698G731 4494031

Here are the numbers on the engine:

31H7770235E1

031211ZE99357

Would sure appreciate y'all's help!

Dave

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I'm guessing that you've already removed the top, plastic shroud from the engine and became confused as to how you would remove the bolts that attach the starter to the engine (because they're under the flywheel)? If that's the case it means you need to remove the flywheel.

First, remove the spark plug from the engine to prevent accidental startup.

If you have an air impact driver it's pretty straightfoward to remove the flywheel nut. The flywheel is keyed to the shaft so be careful not to lose the key.

If you don't have an impact driver then a large wrench will need to do. The obvious question is how to turn the nut when it causes the entire engine to turn; you solve this by inserting enough clean rope into the spark plug hole so that the rope blocks the piston's ability to complete its stroke (thus seizing the engine).

With the flywheel off removing and replacing the starter should be straightforward. Just make sure that when you reassemble that you pay attention to the flywheel key and ensure that the flywheel is properly oriented with the shaft.

If you have any specific questions be sure to ask.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing that you've already removed the top, plastic shroud from the engine and became confused as to how you would remove the bolts that attach the starter to the engine (because they're under the flywheel)? If that's the case it means you need to remove the flywheel.

Actually, Chagrin, I was stumped on the shroud itself. Further investigation has prompted me to remove the front sheetmetal of the tractor. That's when I discovered that I need a torx or star-shaped bit to remove the shroud. I have neither one, so I'll need to borrow one so that I can get past the shroud.

Then of course, I get to deal with the stuff that you just told me about. Lucky me.... Thanx for responding and the helpful advise. Hopefully I can get the starter off tomorrow evening and then see about ordering a replacement.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts