My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a plastic tank for a rider to update a 16G. The tank arrived today. The seller rinsed out the old gas with water. Now there is condensation all over the inside of the tank. Not enough water pour out. Just condensation, but enough, in my view, to be unfriendly to my fuel system. Any ideas about how to dry it out in less than a few weeks?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a plastic tank for a rider to update a 16G. The tank arrived today. The seller rinsed out the old gas with water. Now there is condensation all over the inside of the tank. Not enough water pour out. Just condensation, but enough, in my view, to be unfriendly to my fuel system. Any ideas about how to dry it out in less than a few weeks?
I'd rinse it with a bottle of gas dry. It's alcohol that will bind with the water.

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd rinse it with a bottle of gas dry. It's alcohol that will bind with the water.
I'd never heard of that kind of product. It sounds like a viable solution. I'll go look for some locally. Thanks!

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What seems a favorite in every gas station comes in a narrow-necked yellow bottle called 'HEAT'. Before ethanol gas, it was a necessary additive in cold country.
I saw that but it is yet another product I am not familiar with. I think it is a gas additive. to treat that has some water in it. But my issue is an empty tank that has condensation in it. Can it be used on its own/not mixed into a tank of gas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sure. Add the bottle to the damp tank and slosh it all around. Now, all the condensation is in the fluid you dumped in. Dump it out and you're done.

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure. Add the bottle to the damp tank and slosh it all around. Now, all the condensation is in the fluid you dumped in. Dump it out and you're done.
Thanks. Sounds simple. I like simple! :)

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alcohol will will easily mix with water and it will easily mix with gas. Maybe just use pump gas with alcohol to swish around and then dump out? I'm thinking like maybe a cup of gas since the tank only has condensation, not actually any gas that puddles in the bottom.

What do you think?

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
539 Posts
Pour some Acetone in the tank, available at hardware stores, swish it around, dump it out and it will evaporate and dry the tank very quickly.
Pour about a half a quart in, it evaporates extremely fast, dries out water and will mix with gasoline, it is an active ingredient in fuel stabilizers.
Just be careful, it is very flammable and so are the vapors.

·
Super Moderator
23,119 Posts
Methyl hydrate will do the same. Available at hardware stores, drug stores, and office supply companies.

It's the same stuff as gas line antifreeze and has many other uses. Look it up.

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pour some Acetone in the tank, available at hardware stores, swish it around, dump it out and it will evaporate and dry the tank very quickly.
Pour about a half a quart in, it evaporates extremely fast, dries out water and will mix with gasoline, it is an active ingredient in fuel stabilizers.
Just be careful, it is very flammable and so are the vapors.
This is a plastic tank. I wonder if the acetone will react with it.

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
539 Posts
This is a plastic tank. I wonder if the acetone will react with it.
No it will be safe with the Acetone.
Many times Acetone is sold in plastic bottles, the same type of plastic that fuel tanks are made from.
M.E.K. - Methel Ethel Ketone is another chemical that can be used but it is very hazardous. It is used in Activators for fiberglass resin.

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
+1

In a pinch, Vodka will work just as well. But use the cheap stuff :)

Reactions: adamthewebman

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Didn’t see anyone suggest this, but set it in the sun with the cap off. Rotate 180* after a half hour. Should be dry after an hour or so.

·
Inveterate Putterer
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the tank is now clean and dry and it was pretty painless. I stuck a rag inside and pushed it around with a medium sized pry bar (not to pry, but just to direct the rag inside the tank. I removed the rag and poured in about a cup of acetone. I swished and sloshed and turned on its side and top. I then poured out the acetone and along with it can a lot of dirt and junk. I poured off the acetone, leaving the gunk in a container. I put the remaining acetone back in and repeated the action. I did this a third time. The inside of the tank looks good. I just need a new cap/gauge and I can install it on my tractor, replacing the bottom feed steel tank.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. VERY much appreciated!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Acetone is a very powerful strong solvent used in many good carburetor and fuel system cleaners.
Another strong solvent used is Ethanol Alcohol, the same stuff found in today's gasoline.
Glad to hear you got it all straightened out with the Acetone, and even cleaned it out more with it before you put it back in the tractor.
I use Acetone for cleaning and drying fuel tanks. It does have a strong odor and is very flamable so use it with caution and in a well ventilated area or outside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts