My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2- Stroke Lawnboy Fan!!!
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I need someone or anybody to give me the steps on painting an aluminum lawnboy deck (sanding, # of coats, etc). If anyone can help me, that would be great. Thanks !:bannana:

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Really different opinions about what’s best.

Zink Chromate (phosphorus acid) has been used as a first step to encapsulate aluminum…but I’ve had failures when applied outside the very rapid, exposed base metals after 3 to 4 hours.

Alodine (a common misconception here), when professionally applied is to encapsulate the base (aluminum) metal, but adding a primer is essential to top coat as Alodine is not a primer…and, it’s expensive.

Epoxy Urethane (2 part system) is absolutely the best and most durable IF applied to clean, abraded aluminum. It will not fail IF you final wash with MEK, Acetone or denatured alcohol and apply the Epoxy primer within 2 hours to the base metal.Waiting any longer exposes the base metal to ambient humidity and microscopic oxidation occurs, which is why applied primers “Lift” from temperature changes of the expansion and contarction from the aluminum surfaces. Media blasting (glass bead or garnite) is the best way to promote adhesion. And although Epoxy primers are expensive, have a useable shelf life and spoil within a few weeks, it has tenacious ’grip’ that most paint strippers can’t cause it to lift or peel….So, once it’s on, it’s on forever.

Another excellent benefit from this primer is it’s nearly compatable (95%) with any kind of paint, and once lightly scuffed (the primer), it provides excellent results and adhesion for the top coat (color).

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts